Please Help! Director Player Error when playing a game

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

zhoudu
Space Cadet

Please Help! Director Player Error when playing a game

Post by zhoudu »

:sad: I want to play a Mac OS 9 game in SheepShaver, but a Director Player Error happens. The game launches correctly, and runs correctly for the first campaign. But after that, the error happens, and the game crashes.
The error is titled as "Director Player Error", and the detail is the following:
Internal error: Unexpected failure while saving the cast record for member 0 of PLAYER-CAST 0 (invalid) to movie.

Is there anything that I can do to solve this problem? Please help me!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Please Help! Director Player Error when playing a game

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Please provide more information.

- Which is your host system, OSX or Windows, and which version?
- Which version/build of SheepShaver do you use?
- Did you do a full MacOS 9 installation in Sheepshaver or do you use a pre-installed system?
- If you use a pre-installed system, did you make sure the disk image file is not locked (set to be read-only) in the host (unlike what is needed when you use a install CD image)?
- If you use a pre-installed system, how much free space is left on that volume?
- Which game are you trying to play?
zhoudu
Space Cadet

Post by zhoudu »

Thanks for your reply. :razz: I am glad to provide more information.

- My host system is OS X 10.10.2.
- The folder of SheepShaver is named "SheepShaver_UB_20140201". Maybe it is built on February 1st, 2014, isn't it?
- The Mac OS 9 image file is copied from Chubby-Bunny in a folder named "COIV4.0.1+". I don't know whether it is a full installation. I do so because Chubby-Bunny cannot be set to full screen. (My Chubby-Bunny always replaces the settings of SheepShaver when it launches. :sad: )
- It seems that the image files are not locked in the host system. When I open the information panel of the images(the Mac OS 9 image and another image where my game is installed), the "locked" options are both unchecked. Also, I tried to write two files into the two images in Mac OS 9, and that worked well.
- The Mac OS 9 image has 46.7 MB free space, displayed in Mac OS 9. The image where my game is installed has 832.1 MB free space, displayed in Mac OS 9.
- The game I try to play is Butt-Ugly Martians: Martian Boot Camp.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

So you now have a "normal" SheepShaver setup in OSX, albeit with a relatively small startup volume. Yes, the COI system disk contains a full OS9 installation. The problem will not be because of an incomplete or unusual setup.

I do not know the error. Maybe others have experience with this game.