Emulating CD Drive for images?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

geekmansworld
Space Cadet

Emulating CD Drive for images?

Post by geekmansworld »

I can tell it's a bit of a cliché on this board but... I'm trying to get the TIE Fighter Collector's CD ROM working (I know, I know...)

I ripped my original TIE Fighter CD to a .cdr file and added it to the list of disks in the Sheepshaver prefs. The problem is, when I launch TIE Fighter, it insists that the "CD ROM is not in your CD Drive". I can see that the TIE Fighter image is listed as a local disk, not a CD. And I seem to recall that, as a copy-prevention measure, TIE Fighter required the CD to be in the drive, even with the full install.

So, does Sheepshaver have a way of mounting a disk image in a way that tricks Mac OS into thinking that it's seeing a real CD ROM drive?

I'm using Sheepshaver 2.4 (latest) with the "New World" ROM, and Mac OS 9. My host OS is Yosemite (otherwise I'd just stick the CD in my Macbook's drive and be happy as a clam).
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Emulating CD Drive for images?

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Please read this part of our SheepShaver guide:
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... own_issues

Alternatively you can run SheepShaver as root, which does provide real CD access.

Best,
Cat_7
NucAr
Tinkerer

Post by NucAr »

In the OS X host, in the disc image's Get Info window, either set all user permissions to read-only, or check the "Locked" box. Then the emulated Mac OS will consider the volume as read-only. You should really do this with all images of CD-ROMs (Read-Only Memory).
geekmansworld
Space Cadet

Post by geekmansworld »

Already tried locking the file in the host OS; no change. I suspect that TIE Fighter can tell that the volume isn't a CD, regardless of read-only status.

I will give the Virtual DVD-ROM/CD Utility a try and post results. Thanks!
geekmansworld
Space Cadet

Post by geekmansworld »

Yup! Following the full instructions for the Virtual DVD-ROM/CD Utility got it working.

Sadly, the game keeps on freezing during the initial cutscenes. I'll have to do some tweaking to see if I can get it working better (and after that, I'll have to figure out a joystick solution, which I hear is not the most fun).

Dank je wel, Cat_7!
NucAr
Tinkerer

Post by NucAr »

geekmansworld wrote:Yup! Following the full instructions for the Virtual DVD-ROM/CD Utility got it working.
Good to know. This suggests that the "DVD/CD master" (.cdr) image format doesn't produce a 1:1 copy, or as close to a 1:1 copy, of a CD as other methods. I made my TIE Fighter image using Toast (version 10 or 11), and all I have to do is lock it in the host for the game to work.

It's strange that you're experiencing freezing cutscenes. Using the full installation and the default preferred memory size (8193 K), I have no such problems. Are you at least able to skip the cutscenes using the return key?

There's no way to use a joystick directly with SheepShaver. However, there are programs that can map joystick axes to mouse movements. I've never tried any but perhaps they're worth a try.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

NucAr wrote:This suggests that the "DVD/CD master" (.cdr) image format doesn't produce a 1:1 copy, or as close to a 1:1 copy, of a CD as other methods.
It is not, or not only, the way the image is created by the DVD-ROM/CD Utility vs. the image created by Disk Utility, but the way DVD-ROM/CD Utility mounts the image. A CD image mounted by adding it to the volumes list for SheepShaver not seen by the MacOS as a disk in a CD drive, while an image mounted by the DVD-ROM/CD Utility is.
MichaelKlaube
Inquisitive Elf

Post by MichaelKlaube »

Dear TIE Fighters,

I have the same freezing problems as described earlier in here.

I run TIE Fighter in SS 2014 build on a Mac mini 2014/2015 on OS X Yosemite.

The Graphics hangs abruptly but the music plays on.

I set the memory in Mac OS 8.5.1 to 10000 bytes

Can somebody give me a hint on how to proceed getting the thing configured right and play on?

Best Regards,

Michael :lol:
NucAr
Tinkerer

Post by NucAr »

MichaelKlaube wrote:I have the same freezing problems as described earlier in here.
If you mean freezing during the opening cinematic, then I don't know what the problem is. I just tested TIE Fighter in Mac OS 8.5.1 in SheepShaver 2014 in OS X El Capitan, and it's fine other than the slight lag described here. It looks like what you have in common with geekmansworld is that you're running OS X Yosemite. Perhaps Yosemite causes this issue.
MichaelKlaube wrote:I set the memory in Mac OS 8.5.1 to 10000 bytes
If you mean 10000K, that should be fine. I don't think memory is the issue here.
MichaelKlaube
Inquisitive Elf

Post by MichaelKlaube »

If you want to know when this freezing appears:

Every now and then!

It is unpredictable and appears not only in the opening but also when I play for example the test route or when I press "k" to get the keyboard commands.

But besides of this, the game runs fine considering the speed.
MichaelKlaube
Inquisitive Elf

Post by MichaelKlaube »

Finally updated to El Capitan.

Still freezing anywhere in the game.

:(
MichaelKlaube
Inquisitive Elf

Post by MichaelKlaube »

Found the solution for the upcoming freezes of the game every now and then:

Switch all Check Boxes in CPU Options to OFF!!!

:)