All disks locked, trash locked, cannot install anything

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Xtehtactician
Space Cadet

All disks locked, trash locked, cannot install anything

Post by Xtehtactician »

I am running sheepshaver (OS9) on my father's old computer, which is running OSX 10.5.8. I installed it so that i could play all the games I played on my old imac G4 before the tray switches broke. However, every disk i have is locked (i think because file sharing is disabled) except for one, which has too much stuff on it. When i tried to delete a couple unneeded files, it turned out the trash was locked as well. I looked at the accounts and it turned out i was playing as a guest. Any way around this? I also tried turning on file sharing, but it says i have to put in my name first, and every time i do so its deleted.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: All disks locked, trash locked, cannot install anything

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Please provide more information, like:

How did you set up SheepShaver? Did you install MacOS 9 yourself using a install CD or install CD image? Or do you use a pre-installed OS9 system you downloaded from some place on the web?
(If you use a pre-installed OS9 system, make sure the image file is NOT locked in the OSX Finder like you would need to do with an install CD image.)

What are the disks you are talking about? CD-ROMs or other kind of disks or disk images? And how do you mount them in SheepShaver?
Xtehtactician
Space Cadet

Post by Xtehtactician »

I used a disk image file, one i got from a site that provided many files to set it up: http://www.redundantrobot.com/sheepshaver-tutorial/

I used the settings and instructions described on the wiki.

I am indeed using cd roms. Its installing the programs on them that I'm having problems with.

I have tried unlocking the disk file but that simply makes the emulator cease to function.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Hm, maybe you did something else to the image file that made it unusable? SheepShaver should start up fine from the image file regardless whether the file is locked in the OSX Finder or not. Only, while it is locked, you cannot make any changes to the volume as you described.

Exactly what do you mean with "makes the emulator cease to function"? What happens or what does not happen when you launch SheepShaver?
Xtehtactician
Space Cadet

Post by Xtehtactician »

It fails to find the disk image and comes up with the question mark and gray background. I was told to lock the image in several tutorials, but there were some that said not to.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The instruction to lock the image file is intended for install CD images, not for images with pre-installed system like the OS9.img file you can download from redundant robot.

If the image file is OK and SheepShaver cannot find it, the name (or path) in preferences does not match the actual name of (or path to) the image file. Have you checked that?