Using hibrid HFS CDs in SheepShaver - How to ?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

macfan63
Student Driver

Using hibrid HFS CDs in SheepShaver - How to ?

Post by macfan63 »

I am using SheepShaver on Windows 8.1 -

I made hibrid isos in HFS or HFS+ format and mounted them in a virtual CD Rom drive or directly burned to a real CD, I tried both ways - SheepShaver reads them as audio only CD, although I put some videos inside them, so SheepShaver cannot read the data ? When I start SheepShaver I enable the phisical CD Rom drive or the virtual CD Rom drive in each case.

What format does SheepShaver recognize, HFS or HFS+ ?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Using hibrid HFS CDs in SheepShaver - How to ?

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Not sure about SheepShaver for Windows. But SheepShaver for OSX will only recognize Mac CD-ROMs (which are always HFS), no other CD formats.

Disk images can be either HFS or HFS+ (with MacOS 8.1 through 9.0.4) or HFS only (with MacOS 8.0 and earlier). They need to be added to the volumes list in the GUI to mount them in SheepShaver at next startup.
macfan63
Student Driver

Post by macfan63 »

I am having the problem that when I put an HFS CD in the CD rom and start SheepShaver, the program recognizes the CD but says that it needs to be initialized ! ( so it cannot read any data inside )

This started to happen now, as a couple of years ago I used the same HFS CDs ( which came with some Mac magazines ) to copy software to Mac OS 9 hard disk, so SheepShaver used to read them well before, but not now.

I am using the same hard disk I ever used, for security purposes I had zipped the hard disk file a long time ago, so that it remained untouched in order that when I need a "fresh" copy of it I unzip and use that file as Mac OS.

What could be going on to cause that SheepShaver cannot read original Mac Discs ? - They are CD disks for Mac Classic ( they are intended to be used on Mac OS 7 to Mac OS 9 as reads in the magazines in which they came ).

I don´t know if the Windows systems matter, as I am using Windows 8.1 and I used Windows XP and Windows 7 before, the program used to work fine in XP and 7 -

I will be grateful again for your help

best
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Are you now running a 64 bit windows version? These cannot read CDs, unless you use the latest SheepShaver version.
Please look in the SheepShaver for Windows thread to find the latest SheepShaver version.
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =20&t=5325

Best,
Cat_7
macfan63
Student Driver

Post by macfan63 »

I am using a 32 bit version of Windows 8.1

Today I tried to inquire why I was getting an error saying "The document XXXX could not be opened because the application program that created it could not be opened" - ( I had mentioned this in other topic I opened, sorry for repeating here ) -
I found that I could not open a .sit file because I had not previously opened Stuffit expander, at least I could solve one issue ! - I will try other builds of SheepShaver to see if the problem of not reading CDs can be fixed. Thanks