Windows 8.1 'Cannot map ROM: No error.'

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

achmafooma
Space Cadet

Windows 8.1 'Cannot map ROM: No error.'

Post by achmafooma »

Hello. I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro. I have everything set up correctly for SheepShaver; in fact the 5/5/2010 SheepShaver.exe launches and runs Mac OS 9.0.4 just fine (but, obviously, without all the bugfixes and improvements since then).

But when I use the newer exe's, it won't start. Immediately upon launching, I get a dialog saying, "Cannot map ROM: No error." I have tried with both the 6/5/2013 and 1/3/2015 versions, and I get the same results.

I have tried using the compatibility settings to run in Windows 8, 7, and XP SP3 modes with the same results. I've also tried toggling all of the settings I can -- QuickDraw, Network, JIT, and probable some other things and it keeps throwing the same error.

I can't find any useful logs in either the event viewer or in the SheepShaver directory...hopefully there's just something I'm missing. I appreciate any help you can provide. My prefs are included below. Thank you in advance!

Code: Select all

disk D:\ScottFiles\Virtual Machines\Mac OS Classic\Mac_OS_Classic.hfv
extfs 
screen win/1024/768
windowmodes 3
screenmodes 63
seriala COM1
serialb COM2
rom D:\ScottFiles\Virtual Machines\Mac OS Classic\Mac OS ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 536870912
frameskip 8
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
ignoreillegal false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
ignoresegv true
idlewait true
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
enableextfs false
debugextfs false
extdrives CDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
pollmedia true
etherpermanentaddress true
ethermulticastmode 0
routerenabled false
ftp_port_list 21
portfile0 C:\B2TEMP0.OUT
portfile1 C:\B2TEMP1.OUT
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Windows 8.1 'Cannot map ROM: No error.'

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

This error is caused by SheepShaver trying to use memory which is already occupied by some other program. You can try a few things:
-Start SheepShaver after a fresh start of Windows,
-Experiment with the SheepShaver memory settings,
-Try to close down programs running in the background.

You might find some references to programs suspected to cause this behaviour by searching the forum.

Best, Cat_7
achmafooma
Space Cadet

Re: Windows 8.1 'Cannot map ROM: No error.'

Post by achmafooma »

Thanks for the speedy response. I had searched the forums and didn't find the exact same error, so I thought I might have had a new problem...but sure enough, it seems to be related to the other issues folks have reported.

I started killing things one by one, and in my case the culprit appears to be the Chrome browser (I didn't even have the browser itself open, but I have it run on startup in the background for the Hangouts plugin).

After I completely closed Chrome, SheepShaver started working as expected...and when I reopen Chrome it must use a different memory location because SheepShaver continues to work fine afterwards.

Thanks again for your help!