Hosting externally (Internet) facing services

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

zimwhatzim
Space Cadet

Hosting externally (Internet) facing services

Post by zimwhatzim »

Hi all. I'm running the latest release of Sheepshaver on a Windows box. I'm attempting to host some externally facing services from the guest OS. It's running System 7.5.3. I'm seeing a 10. address in TCP/IP settings within System 7. However, I cannot reach this IP external to the virtual machine. I'm familiar with setting up virtual machines and assigning IP addresses as well as mapping ports for services, but it seems that Sheepshaver can't handle a virtual ethernet connection in the same way that say, virtualbox can. Any work arounds that you all know of?
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Hosting externally (Internet) facing services

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

We have a guide available on how to get Appletalk working in SheepShaver for Windows. It just so happens that when you set up networking like described, you can also run outward-facing services ;-)
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/app ... er_windows

But:
1. This will not work in 64 bit Windows, unless you run windows in test mode and disable the driver signing requirement. If you want to go this way, please let me know and I'll furnish the 64 bit driver.
2. At least for SheepShaver, there is a critical moment at start-up when there should be no traffic on the network. So it might require some fiddling to get SheepShaver started with this setup. If you run 7.5.3, perhaps Basilisk would be a better choice.

Best,
Cat_7
zimwhatzim
Space Cadet

Post by zimwhatzim »

Fantastic. I'll give it a go and report back when able.
zimwhatzim
Space Cadet

Post by zimwhatzim »

On startup, the app crashes: Runtime Error! This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. :roll:
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Please let us know what you are running. Is it a 32 bit host? And are you running SheepShaver?
If so, that error comes from network traffic on the network card during SheepShaver start-up. You can try to disconnect your network just when SheepShaver starts and reconnect it when the progress bar starts to move.

This is a bug which has not been fixed in the normal SheepShaver program. There are, however, alternatives:
-We have a Basilisk build which uses winpcap for networking. It requires you to use a different preferences file
-We have Basilisk144, which uses a different preferences editor and preferences file

Best,
Cat_7
zimwhatzim
Space Cadet

Post by zimwhatzim »

Thanks for the additional information. I'm running SheepShaver on a 32bit Windows host.

Hm. Okay, have you had a more stable experience with Basilisk in regard to networking?