Installing Virtual DVD-ROM/CD Utility

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

N3KR3P0
Student Driver

Installing Virtual DVD-ROM/CD Utility

Post by N3KR3P0 »

Hi, very new to this and i'm unsure how to install the .sit file for Virtual DVD-ROM/CD Utility in sheepshaver using OSX9
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Re: Installing Virtual DVD-ROM/CD Utility

Post by Jorpho »

I'm not sure that will help you with your problem, but a .sit file is a Stuffit archive and can be opened with Stuffit Expander. There should be suitable instructions for using Stuffit Expander in the wiki.
N3KR3P0
Student Driver

Post by N3KR3P0 »

My version of os9 does not seem to have stuff it expander installed.
N3KR3P0
Student Driver

Post by N3KR3P0 »

Okay, I was able to install a version of stuff it and now when i try to use stuff it it tells me that the folder i have selected is write protected. i have my virtual HD selected i believe.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

As mentioned in your other thread... your first step is to get a full install of OS 9 on a larger drive image. You aren't going to be able to get your game installed and functioning using the Redundant Robot OS 9 image.
N3KR3P0
Student Driver

Post by N3KR3P0 »

I'm really having a hard time finding any other .img files that boot up correctly. Could someone gimmie a hint where to look lol?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

The macintosh garden provides disk images suitable for a full installation of Mac OS 9.

Best,
Cat_7
N3KR3P0
Student Driver

Post by N3KR3P0 »

Okay, I'm getting myself confused here. So do I need to find another Rom and Boot disk to make my set up more appropriate for playing Prime Target? I thought I just needed to find a "full" version of the os so as to be able to use "stuff it" to extract the .sit files I have. 1. being for the virtual cd drive 2. for the prime targert .sit file.

Update***Okay, so I found another ?Boot Disk? on the Macintosh garden http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-os- ... 3-firewire I downloaded the first option. So I went back to Sheep Shaver and deleted the my previously created HD and made another (2000mb) then "added" the .Toast file i had downloaded to the list. My rom is still the newwolrd one downloaded from redundant robot website. upon start i get an error msg "the system software on the startup disk only functions on the original meida, not if copied to another drive."

update***Okay, so damn man since that didn't work I peak around a little more and found this guy https://winworldpc.com/download/3DEB1E5 ... 54D21A8599 and gave that a run, and still got the same. damn. error.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

You've downloaded the install CD, not a boot image. Now you need to follow the setup instructions on the wiki for locking the CD image and setting things up :)

http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver - pick the appropriate setup guide.
N3KR3P0
Student Driver

Post by N3KR3P0 »

Was it the file in the first update or second that was the installer CD? Then if one of those is the installer CD can I still use the newworld rom i got off the redundant robot wewbsite suggested in the guide (or one of the guides)? I feel like I tired that and got some error. I keep following the guide and i keep getting errors so sorry for constantly asking dumb questions. I'm a moron.
N3KR3P0
Student Driver

Post by N3KR3P0 »

Okay hold on here, i REALLY followed the guide and was able to use the second update in my previous reply to use that install CD and the newworld rom and got os 9 installed. now as it stands do i need to leave the mac os 9. toast file in my volumes or can i take that off? and from there what is my next move on my other current post http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =20&t=8669 to enable play of prime target? as im still getting the "your preferred destination folder is currently write-protected" when i try to open the .sit file for Virtual DVD-ROM/CD Utility offered on macintosh garden.
heres screen shot https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6DKnD ... sp=sharing