Serial emulation

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Serial emulation

Post by kataetheweirdo »

I know Sheepshaver has some serial emulation, but I haven't seen anything on how it works. This is of particular concern to see the Serial Test Manager that's built into every PPC Mac ROM. Only one official document was found pertaining to this, but it wasn't particularly in-depth.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Serial emulation

Post by adespoton »

I went looking for documentation a few years back, and found nothing. That's interesting, because setting up your bluetooth device as serial appears to (sometimes) work, but not always. My guess is that it does some basic passthrough of binary serial data and possibly has translation from ADB to RS-232. Please let us know if you find out anything... I won't have time in the next little while to go diving into the source to figure it out from that angle.

You might want to check the BII source instead though, as this code is shared by both emulators, and was originally implemented for BII (so the results are more likely to be intended).