Beginner questions

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Dave_O
Space Cadet

Beginner questions

Post by Dave_O »

New to the world of MAC emulators. Have SheepShaver, the 01/03/2015 build running with MAC OS 9.0.4. My platform is 64 bit Windows 8.1 on a fast Intel CPU/MB with 8GB RAM. First of all, what an awesome achievement !!!

Some initial questions:

Booting OS 9 with the Old World ROM works, and the OS seems zippier. Other than running PPC apps, are there benefits to the New World Rom?

Antivirus. A couple of games I found were infected with nvir, which Disinfectant 3.7.1 cleaned. Do folks use a realtime AV program like Norton on the images they run?

Extensions. My OS 9.0 build is a full install. Are there extensions / Control Panels that can or should be disabled using the Extensions Manager? Looking for improved stability mostly.

Thanks again
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Beginner questions

Post by adespoton »

Dave_O wrote:New to the world of MAC emulators. Have SheepShaver, the 01/03/2015 build running with MAC OS 9.0.4. My platform is 64 bit Windows 8.1 on a fast Intel CPU/MB with 8GB RAM. First of all, what an awesome achievement !!!

Some initial questions:

Booting OS 9 with the Old World ROM works, and the OS seems zippier. Other than running PPC apps, are there benefits to the New World Rom?
The old/new has to do with how the PPC Macs were configured (static ROM vs OpenFirmware ROM). Everything we're talking about in SheepShaver is PPC, 68k Macs run under Basilisk II.

So the only benefit to using a new world ROM is that it's freely available (you can get a number of Apple updates that contain the ROM file), whereas an Old World ROM needs to be dumped from a functioning Mac.
Dave_O wrote:Antivirus. A couple of games I found were infected with nvir, which Disinfectant 3.7.1 cleaned. Do folks use a realtime AV program like Norton on the images they run?
As long as you're running Disinfectant Init, you should be fine. If you're paranoid, run Gatekeeper as well -- it's a heuristcs-based extension pair for Mac OS. Don't bother with NAV.

You *can* scan from your host using an A/V package that 1) scans inside HFS disk images and 2) detects legacy Mac malware. Pretty much any scanner on OS X will do that; I don't know of any free scanners for Windows 8 that do it.
Dave_O wrote:Extensions. My OS 9.0 build is a full install. Are there extensions / Control Panels that can or should be disabled using the Extensions Manager? Looking for improved stability mostly.

Thanks again
For the last one, you'll probably want to scour the discussion threads here. Some things that come to mind are: get the right version of Quicktime and disable your sound/monitors extensions. A/ROSE etc. shouldn't be on OS 9 in the first place, so won't be an issue.
Dave_O
Space Cadet

Re: Beginner questions

Post by Dave_O »

Thanks