SheepShaver Suddenly Won't Start

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Juliet Elysa
Student Driver

SheepShaver Suddenly Won't Start

Post by Juliet Elysa »

Hi! :) I hate that my first post on this forum has to be a problem, but c'est la vie.

I've had SS set up on my Windows 7 machine for a few months now, and it's worked great. Today when I tried to open it, nothing happened. When I go into Task Manager and click on End Process nothing happens. I have to restart my computer to get the process to end - even logging off doesn't work, and it usually does work to close stubborn programs/etc. I could get SS to run once without my 1GB hard drive file after I deleted and replaced the GUI, the program itself, the ROM, the preferences file, and the PRAM file (forgot what it's called). But as soon as I created a new 1GB drive and deleted the old one (I deleted the first drive in the GUI too even though the new drive has the same name as the old one) and deleted the PRAM file again it refused to start, and now it won't start even without the 1GB drive. It's worked perfectly in the past with several 1GB drives, and I haven't changed any settings since the last time it worked.

I'm more stumped than a chopped down tree. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
ClockWise
Site Admin

Re: SheepShaver Suddenly Won't Start

Post by ClockWise »

Sheepshaver fails without any provided error message if certain of the paths specified in the GUI are wrong. This may be because a file has changed location.

Try deleting the prefs file which has been generated and placed in your sheepshaver directory. You can then reconfigure to make sure it is set up correctly. If that fails, post the contents of the prefs file here for our review.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I have seen some problems on Windows hosts as the OS became garbled after time.
Windows is not tidy handling its files, registry etc.
I am using TuneUp Utilities since 1998 on my Windows rigs for that reason.
(Doing all that manually is way above my head.)
I recently had a XP host which would take about 30 minutes to load SheepShaver. TuneUp did solve that.
So maybe it helps to run some cleanup app on your host system.
I don´t like the new TuneUp appearance under AVG, but there is a working trial: http://www.tune-up.com/download/
Won´t harm much to give it a go...
Juliet Elysa
Student Driver

Post by Juliet Elysa »

I removed and re-selected all the files in the GUI and tried to start it again, no luck. I'll run my cleaning programs now, but here's the contents of the prefs:

disk C:\Users\usernameremoved\Desktop\SheepShaver\SheepShaver\SheepShaver Drives\New Mac OS 8.6 Drive
extfs
screen win/0/0
windowmodes 3
screenmodes 63
seriala COM1
serialb COM2
rom C:\Users\usernameremoved\Desktop\SheepShaver\SheepShaver
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 1073741824
frameskip 8
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
ignoreillegal false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
ignoresegv true
idlewait true
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
enableextfs true
debugextfs false
extdrives CDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
pollmedia true
etherpermanentaddress true
ethermulticastmode 0
routerenabled false
ftp_port_list 21
portfile0 C:\B2TEMP0.OUT
portfile1 C:\B2TEMP1.OUT
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

It looks like you don't have a ROM selected in that prefs file, but I suspect that isn't the original problem. Did you remember to actually delete the old prefs file in case something in there was amiss?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

For rom file you selected C:\Users\usernameremoved\Desktop\SheepShaver\SheepShaver

Are you sure that file "SheepShaver" is a compatible rom file? Unusual to name it that way. With no correct rom file selected, SheepShaver will not run.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

From the looks of the path to the disk image, it looks like she's got a directory called "SheepShaver" inside of another directory called "SheepShaver." Which would mean that no ROM is selected.
Juliet Elysa
Student Driver

Post by Juliet Elysa »

That probably happened during one of the times I deleted the GUI and had to redo the settings. The problem happened even when I made sure that a valid ROM file was selected, and before it somehow got unselected.

Cleaning up my computer seemed to make the situation a bit better. SS takes a VERY long time to open now (long enough for me to go get a cup of tea and a sandwich - when I got back the happy Mac was on the screen), which will undoubtedly be frustrating when I'm in an impatient mood, but so far it's running normally now that it's started.
Juliet Elysa
Student Driver

Post by Juliet Elysa »

OK, update! SS has been running for a few hours now. It seems stable, but it's lagging pretty badly (even the arrow pointer is moving slowly). Which is annoying.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You have set the Window Refresh Rate at 7.5Hz, which is extremely low. The default refresh rate setting is "Dynamic", which will provide the best refresh rate available.
Juliet Elysa
Student Driver

Post by Juliet Elysa »

That would explain a few things. :P I must have changed the setting by mistake, or it changed itself.

It's happening again! And this time my computer and my registry are squeaky clean. Earlier today it gave me an error (Cannot map second Kernel Data area: 487.) but now it doesn't even give me that. :(

In Task Manager I've noticed that the process freezes at two different times. When it freezes at about 1,000K loaded I can usually end the process, but when it freezes at 6,000K or higher I have to restart the computer to end it. I doubt that will be helpful, but I'll mention it anyways just in case it is.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

That error means (I think) that another program is using memory that SheepShaver wants to use. You've set SheepShaver to use one gigabyte of memory in the GUI. Adjust that to 128 MB and see if it fixes the problem.
Juliet Elysa
Student Driver

Post by Juliet Elysa »

Nope, that didn't fix it. :(
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Not sure what's going on. Since things have changed, can you post your current prefs file again?
Juliet Elysa
Student Driver

Post by Juliet Elysa »

disk C:\Users\username\Desktop\SheepShaver\SheepShaver\SheepShaver Drives\New Mac OS 8.6 Drive
disk C:\Users\username\Desktop\SheepShaver\SheepShaver\SheepShaver Drives\1GB Drive
extfs
screen win/0/0
windowmodes 3
screenmodes 63
seriala COM1
serialb COM2
rom C:\Users\username\Desktop\SheepShaver\SheepShaver\Mac_OS_ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 134217728
frameskip 0
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
ignoreillegal false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
ignoresegv true
idlewait true
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
enableextfs true
debugextfs false
extdrives CDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
pollmedia true
etherpermanentaddress true
ethermulticastmode 0
routerenabled false
ftp_port_list 21
portfile0 C:\B2TEMP0.OUT
portfile1 C:\B2TEMP1.OUT
Juliet Elysa
Student Driver

Post by Juliet Elysa »

It started just now, about an hour after I tried to open it. :O
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Still, ram size is set unusually large. As ClockWise wrote, try to set it at a smaller value. Try 128MB or 256MB, not more than 512MB.