OS X El Capitan (10.11) public beta 1

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Cat_7
Expert User

Re: OS X El Capitan (10.11) public beta 1

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Did you check the advanced network settings for ML in virtual box when using bridging? Do you have the option to set networking to "promiscuous" mode? That should allow all network traffic to and from your ML instance.

Best,
Cat_7
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Post by Old-School-BBSer »

Cat_7, I must have missed the memo! :)

Actually, there are three options there:

Deny
Allow VMs
Allow All

It was set to "Deny". However, I changed it to "Allow All", but that did not make a difference. I still cannot connect to the web inside of SheepShaver, or connect to other Hotline servers. In the old Mozilla web browser, it says that it is trying to resolve the domain name, but it can't.

If I start up SheepShaver using my shell script, I get the following in the Terminal:

----------
Last login: Sat Oct 3 04:09:58 on ttys000
/Users/oldschoolbbser/Desktop/SS.command ; exit;
Mountain-Lion:~ oldschoolbbser$ /Users/oldschoolbbser/Desktop/SS.command ; exit;
SheepShaver V2.4 by Christian Bauer and Mar"c" Hellwig
Reading ROM file...
Using SDL/coreaudio audio output
WARNING: Cannot open /dev/sheep_net (No such file or directory). Ethernet will not be available.
Detected CPU features: MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3
PowerPC CPU emulator by Gwenole Beauchesne
WARNING: Unknown DiskStatus(6)
ifconfig: BRDGADD tap0: No such file or directory
logout

[Process completed]

----------

To refresh your memory, in Mountain Lion's "Network" preference pane", it currently has this:

----------
Ethernet is currently active and has the IP address of 10.0.1.5
Configure IPv4: Using DHCP
IP Address: 10.0.1.5
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 10.0.1.1
DNS Server: 10.0.1.1
----------

I cannot edit that "DNS Server" line, but shouldn't it have the actual IP addresses of my ISP's DNS servers? That is what I have always used.

In Mac OS 9.0.4's TCP/IP control panel, I currently have it set to this:

----------
Connect via: Ethernet
Configure: Manually
IP Address: 10.0.1.5
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 10.0.1.1
----------

In AirPort Utility's "Network" pane, it currently has this:

----------

Router Mode: DHCP and NAT
DHCP Range: 10.0.1.2 to 10.0.1.200

----------

Below that, in the "Port Settings" section, I have both Telnet (port 23) and Hotline (port 5500) pointing to 10.0.1.5.

"Personal Web Sharing" points to 10.0.1.2, which is the address of my El Capitan machine, and where I run my web servers. VirtualBox, Mountain Lion and SheepShaver are installed on this same machine.

In the VirtualBox Manager window, under the "Network" section, it says:

----------
"Adapter 1: intel PRO/1000 MT Server (Bridged Adapter, en1: Wi-Fi (Airport)
----------

If I change the "Ethernet interface" field on the "Miscellaneous" tab in SheepShaver's preferences to "en1", or even to "en0" instead of "tap0", I am still getting the same errors in the Terminal when I use my SheepShaver shell script, and I have no Internet access in SheepShaver for anything.

My SheepShaver startup shell script says the following. This is what I use to start up SheepShaver, instead of double-clicking the app icon. It has worked fine since this past April when you helped me to set up all of this:

#!/bin/bash
sudo arch -arch i386 /Applications/SheepShaver/SheepShaver.app/Contents/MacOS/SheepShaver & sleep 10
sudo ifconfig bridge0 create
sudo ifconfig bridge0 addm en0
sudo ifconfig bridge0 up
sudo ifconfig bridge0 addm tap0
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
Guam, Mariana Islands, USA
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I suggest you take this step by step:
1. Virtual box settings: bridge to cabled connection, not WiFi. Allow all traffic.
2. Mountain Lion in virtual box: check network adapter MAC address, set you router to provide a static IP address to that MAC address. So this is an additional step compared to your current setup.
3. Set ML networking settings to that address, use your regular subnet/router/dns settings. Check internet access. No need to continue until you get this OK.
4. Install correct tuntaposx for ML.
5. Check connection used in ML: should be en0 or en1 (must be cabled one)
6. Inside ML: If needed, adjust script to use correct network connection.
You must get SheepShaver to run without error. Again, there is not much use to continue if it doesn't.

As for SheepShaver: when the above works, SheepShaver (Mac OS 9) should still work as it did earlier. All network traffic should be transparent for SheepShaver and all traffic to the BBS should still be directed to the correct IP address/port.
Theoretically.... ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Hello again Cat_7. Thank you for taking the time to help me with this. I appreciate it.
Cat_7 wrote:1. Virtual box settings: bridge to cabled connection, not WiFi. Allow all traffic.
Thank you for confirming what I already suspected. It didn't make any sense to me that it should be set to my wi-fi network, because Mountain Lion is not on the wi-fi network. It is on an internal ethernet network which is created by VirtualBox's built in DHCP server/router, right? Or am I wrong about this?

Anyway, I have switched that setting from "en1: Wi-Fi (Airport)" to "en0: Ethernet". Or should I use the "bridge0" option?

I already had it set to "Allow ALL", as you had suggested earlier.

I was also confused by the fact that not only does VirtualBox have its own DHCP server to assign internal IP's on its network, but it likewise offers its own port forwarding.

So I was asking myself, how in the world can I use my wi-fi router's port fowarding to forward telnet and Hotline traffic to SheepShaver, when SheepShaver is not even on my wi-fi network? It is nested in an ethernet network inside of VirtualBox and Mountain Lion.

So, should I even be doing any port forwarding for SheepShaver from my wi-fi router, or should that be handled by VirtualBox as well?
2. Mountain Lion in virtual box: check network adapter MAC address, set you router to provide a static IP address to that MAC address. So this is an additional step compared to your current setup.
Okay, you just lost me. I have never worked with MAC addresses before.

I found the MAC address on the "Adapter 1" tab, but I don't know how to apply that in my Airport Extreme wi-fi router using the Airport Utility. Can you walk me through it step-by-step? And, yes, you can bet that I am keeping notes for future reference! :)

BTW, in AirPort Utility on the Internet tab, I already have a static IP address, etc., set for my machine, as per the instructions which were given to me by my ISP.

However, it sounds like you are asking me to do something else, but I don't know how to do it, or where to do it. I have looked at both the "Internet" tab and the "Network" tabs in AirPort Utility, but I am not certain how to proceed.

Are you actually talking about adding something to the "Port Settings" section on the "Network" tab? I already have some stuff forwarded in there, but nothing related to a MAC address.
3. Set ML networking settings to that address, use your regular subnet/router/dns settings. Check internet access. No need to continue until you get this OK.
I can't even do step 3 until I understand how to do step 2. :(

4. Install correct tuntaposx for ML.

I actually had TunTap 20150118 installed in Mountain Lion yesterday. However, I then removed it, because it didn't seem to help. Plus, I misunderstood something that Adespoton had said. He had told me to install TunTap in Mountain Lion -- which I did -- but then he also said "Basically, you'd be using VirtualBox to perform the TunTap task for you." So I thought he was also saying that VirtualBox has its OWN TunTap installation, and that I didn't need to install it myself in ML.

Anyway, I am going to install TunTap 20111101 which is more geared towards OS X 10.4 through 10.8. I wasn't even aware that there were legacy versions, until I more closely examined the bottom of the TunTap web page.
5. Check connection used in ML: should be en0 or en1 (must be cabled one)
Check where exactly?
6. Inside ML: If needed, adjust script to use correct network connection.
I assume that you are referring to the SheepShaver startup shell script that I am using.

Exactly what would I have to change -- if anything -- in this?:

#!/bin/bash
sudo arch -arch i386 /Applications/SheepShaver/SheepShaver.app/Contents/MacOS/SheepShaver & sleep 10
sudo ifconfig bridge0 create sudo
ifconfig bridge0 addm en0
sudo ifconfig bridge0 up
sudo ifconfig bridge0 addm tap0
You must get SheepShaver to run without error. Again, there is not much use to continue if it doesn't.
Agreed.
As for SheepShaver: when the above works, SheepShaver (Mac OS 9) should still work as it did earlier. All network traffic should be transparent for SheepShaver and all traffic to the BBS should still be directed to the correct IP address/port.
Agreed. It already does work quite well under Mountain Lion . . . minus Internet connectivity!!! :(
Theoretically.... ;-)
Yeah, yeah . . . you just had to throw that in there, didn't you??? Just rain on my parade, why don't you. :)

Well, if we get this working right, I will be indebted to you once again. How about if I email you a hot pizza?
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Cat_7,

Okay, regarding my comments concerning step 2 above, I think I may have just figured it out by snooping around in Airport Utility. Please correct me if I am wrong.

On Airport Utility's "Network" tab, under "DHCP Reservations, I added the following:

Description: Mountain Lion
Reserve Address By: MAC Address
MAC Address: the one showing on the "Adapter 1" tab in VirtualBox's Mountain Lion setup.
IPv4 Address: an unused internal LAN IP address.

This IP address that I chose, is this also what I should put in the TCP/IP control panel in OS 9.0.4?

I hope I got this right. I am really trying. :)
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Hello again Ronald, Cat_7 and Adespoton,

I wish there was a way for trusted users to delete no longer relevant posts, such as my previous two posts after Cat_7's last post . . . the reason being that I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT!!! :shock: But not without the help of some of you here. :D

Following Cat_7 suggested settings, I re-established Internet connection within Mountain Lion using the new settings, including the new DHCP Reservations settings, which I knew nothing about, prior to Cat_7's remarks about using the MAC address. Doing that was a new experience for me.

Once my Internet connection was working again in Mountain Lion, I discovered that while I was no longer getting errors in the Terminal when I used by SheepShaver startup shell script, nevertheless, connections were not going through in SheepShaver, either for the ancient versions of the Mozilla and iCab web browsers, or for my Hotline server.

Then I realized that OS 9.0.4's TCP/IP control panel also had to have a unique LAN IP address that was different from Mountain Lion's LAN IP address.

Furthermore, with that IP address change in OS 9, I also had to update my wi-fi port forwarding for the Telnet and Hotline ports in the Airport Utility.

I thought that I should do port forwarding from within VirtualBox's "Network" tab for Mountain Lion. However, that option is grayed out. I guess because of the particular settings we are using.

Anyway, Cat_7, it is no longer THEORETICAL. It is now FACT, and this has to be the most convoluted setup I have ever done, insofar as computer networking is done. I mean, REALLY:

El Capitan --> VirtualBox --> Mountain Lion --> SheepShaver --> OS 9.0.4 --> Hermes II BBS and Hotline server

And the proof is in the pudding:

For my BBS, try one of these in this order, using your favorite telnet client. I can't guarantee what it will look like for you, as it depends on your particular terminal app settings:

armageddonbbs.com
bbs.armageddonbbs.com
endtimeprophecy.net

For my Hotline server, use a Hotline client or Hotline clone, and go to:

202.128.4.177:5500

You really shouldn't have to add on the port number, because your client will do it by default.

using "endtimeprophecy.net" with the Hotline client might work as well.

Thanks to you guys, I now have a fully functional SheepShaver setup running directly under El Capitan, as well as a second backup system running under Mountain Lion in VirtualBox. They are identical . . . at least for now.

The only negative in all of this is that VirtualBox and Mountain Lion hog up 2 GB of my memory which adds a drag to my regular everyday computer activities. I may still try to scale back ML's memory allotment and see if it will still run.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

As I said, the proof is in the pudding. Here is an image of my El Capitan/VirtualBox/Mountain Lion/SheepShaver/Mac OS 9.0.4 setup running both my old Hermes II PC-ANSI BBS, as well as my old Hotline server:

It is kind of crunched up in the window, but if I use VirtualBox's "Scaled Mode", and increase the window size, my mouse gets a little jerky, and there is a noticeable sluggishness when I do things in Mountain Lion.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

adespoton wrote:Plus, moving this virtual system to another computer is as simple as exporting to OVA, then importing it on the new system.
Adespoton, my friend, I've been meaning to ask you what you mean by this, but until yesterday, I was having nightmares and battling technological monsters, a.k.a., setting up Mountain Lion and SheepShaver in VirtualBox. :)

I am totally unfamiliar with this, and have no idea what OVA stands for. Yes, I know. I am just being lazy, but can you please amplify?

I love the idea of a self-contained system; just like moving the entire SheepShaver folder over to Mountain Lion. Lovely!

Thanks!
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

"OVA" means Open Virtualization Format Archive -- it's a single file containing all the data needed to run a VirtualBox guest on any host that will run VirtualBox.

In VirtualBox, go to the File menu, and select "Export Appliance". Select your guest image, choose somewhere to save it, click Next, review the details (most will be blank, that's OK) and then click Export.

It will then take a significant amount of time to save a file containing all your guest configuration information plus any virtual hard disks you have linked. The resulting file size will of course be the same as all those original files combined.

Of course, if you've done the straight "create OS X guest on OS X host" setup as we've been discussing here, the OVA will only work on another OS X host.

To get it running on a host that isn't a Mac, you'll need to disable VirtualBox's Settings->System->Motherboard->Enable EFI after using MultiBeast(from inside Mountain Lion) -- which incidentally also lets you adjust the Mountain Lion screen resolution from the default 1024x768.
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Oh, well, see, in my little world of ignorance, "ova" has always referred to the plural forum of a female human egg. :)

My gosh! What was I thinking???

Everyone knows that it REALLY means "Open Virtualization Format Archive". :lol:

I really need to get with the times. :mrgreen:

And, BTW, in my case, creating an OVA would mean creating at least a 150 GB file, and probably bigger.

In fact, over the past two hours I have been using CCC to back up my internal HD to my external USB. This is the first time since I created the VirtualBox setup that I am doing this; so just under 180 GB have already been copied over, and it still isn't done. Maybe another 33% to go.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
SkiAddict11
Space Cadet

Post by SkiAddict11 »

I apologise for resurrecting a months-old thread, but I found this in a google search while trying to get VirtualBox working. From early posts here it seems that some of you have actually managed to get a 10.6 working inside VirtualBox??? This fills me with hope! :smile:

I am currently running 10.6.8 (I'm testing VB prior to ungrading to El Capitan) so I have VB 4.3.36. I've installed a generic 10.6 (i.e. not tied to any particular hardware, and not SLS, since I don't have one) inside it, and it runs.......but I can't figure out how to setup shared folders! From the VB manual I see that shared folders are provided via guest additions and that "VirtualBox does not provide Guest Additions for Mac OS X at this time". This is confirmed by the fact that when I go Devices->Inserted Guest Additions CD Image, there are no Mac installers there.

So............how can I get shared folders working between a Mac host and a Mac guest? What am I missing?

(BTW, I need to run some form of 10.6 as guest, not 10.7 or later. It should also preferably not be SLS, since I live in New Zealand and the troubles people seem to have getting hold of SLS in the States makes me seriously doubt it's possible at all here.)

Grateful TIA :smile:
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

SkiAddict11 wrote:So............how can I get shared folders working between a Mac host and a Mac guest? What am I missing
You will find a solution by reading my tutorial at the following URL:

http://www.armageddonbbs.com/VirtualBox ... Guide.html

More specifically, look at the following two sections of the tutorial:

XI. CREATING SHARED NETWORK FOLDERS
XII. USING SHARED NETWORK FOLDERS

Hopefully -- and probably -- that info will get you on your way. :)
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
SkiAddict11
Space Cadet

Post by SkiAddict11 »

Many thanks for this Bill, and WOW! what a labour of love! :eek: As a fellow technical writer may I congratulate you on an incredibly clear, detailed document.

In fact I finally got the right search terms today, and google found me this:
http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/ ... older.html

Shared folders now working perfectly under host 10.6.8 and guest 10.6.3 (I haven't yet got around to upgrading it), and the guest even has access to all mounted volumes -- meaning I was able to run the installer on my Office 2000 CD, which was the aim for the VB machine in the first place. (I wasn't able to get VB's Storage Settings tab to do anything useful with my CD drive.)

(Unfortunately, after all that, I find that the installer doesn't want to complete -- it's complaining that a file isn't found. This, on the original factory CD. To make matters worse it's the very last file in the installation, and it's called Icon. :cry: I have one last ray of hope in my TimeMachine backups, which I will pursue tomorrow.)

I have to say, being used to SheepShaver, I'm surprised at how s-l-o-w life is inside a VB machine. It's only when you see the competition that you realise just how good SS is!! Not just the responsiveness, but all those "little" things like no need to 'tug' the mouse when moving between host and guest, no need for a "host key".....

Many thanks once again :-)
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

SkiAddict11 wrote:Many thanks for this Bill, and WOW! what a labour of love! :eek: As a fellow technical writer may I congratulate you on an incredibly clear, detailed document.
You are welcome, my friend.

The truth is, aside from the fact that I have always been into details, having been a newbie myself at many computer-related tasks and issues at some point in my life as well, and having come across so many tutorials which were written from the perspective of a programmer or a well-versed, seasoned computer user -- which oft times was beyond my personal understanding, and thus didn't help me much -- I decided that whenever I write tutorials for anyone, I would use the "Dummies" approach, and just assume that the reader doesn't know anything, and explain everything, step-by-step.

That is why you will find that all of the tutorials which are found on my Armageddon BBS website are written in a very simple, clear, straightforward fashion. I don't assume anything about the reader, and just explain it all, in case they don't already know something or understand something.

And BTW, some of the stuff that is included in a few of the Armageddon BBS tutorials, I actually learned from some of my friends here. They have been very helpful, and I couldn't have done without their assistance in some instances.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

We're all just a collection of tech writers :D

..although in my case, my client base was engineers, which still skews the level I write to. We need more people like Bill who take the extra time to make it all clear :)
SkiAddict11
Space Cadet

Post by SkiAddict11 »

Yes, it's not easy writing technical documents which assume only very basic knowledge, so not many people do it. Even well-versed computer types don't know everything, so we're all clueless at some level! :-)
TiddK
Granny Smith

Post by TiddK »

About a year ago, I managed to get a copy of SLS on DVD (I'm in the UK) from the US. I had to make two phone calls to Apple : the first said "no can do", and after online forum confirmation that this was nonsense, in the second call I pestered the rep until he went away, got his manager, who diverted my call to the States, where they took my details and sent me a copy of the DVD. It cost about £20 altogether.

I am still running 10.6.8 as my main OS and the only thing that would force me to upgrade (to Mavericks :smile: ) is when Safari finally becomes unusable. It's about 20% of the way there so far, but the great majority of the sites I use regularly are fine. I will then install Parallels 10, which I've bought, and install SLS in it.

I think Apple's annual release cycle for OS X is cr*p. I don't like Windows but they seem to have a much more reasonable handle on release frequencies, probably gained by actually listening to their users, which Apple doesn't do.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

For those who are as puzzled as I was:

SLS = Snow Leopard Server

(at least I think that's right!)
TiddK
Granny Smith

Post by TiddK »

emendelson wrote:For those who are as puzzled as I was: