Can't run GUI

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Buddha9596
Space Cadet

Can't run GUI

Post by Buddha9596 »

Can someone please post a list of all the files needed to make this beast run, including all the sizes.

After 3 days, I finally tracked down all the DLLs to get the emulator up and running, but I flat out cannot get the GUI to function, or even to start.

INT.DLL alone I have found in 5 different sizes, none of which seem correct.

If there is one archive somewhere that contains all the required files, that would be extremely helpful. By all, I mean every last file please, not some or most of them.

And yes, I've already installed the GTK runtime.

Thanx,

Buddha
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Can't run GUI

Post by adespoton »

From your post, I assume you're attempting to run on a Windows platform. Which version of Windows?

Which version of SheepShaver.exe are you running? Use the date release string, not the version number.

Which version of SheepShaverGUI.exe are you attempting to run?
Buddha9596
Space Cadet

Post by Buddha9596 »

Windows 10 64 bit. Now I have a really strange situation. On the desktop, I have a Sheepshaver folder with the program dated 7/4/2011 size 912kb and the GUI dated the same. In this folder, the GUI works for some reason, but the Emulator itself loads the Mac screen and then immediately shuts down.

In a folder on my C: drive, I have an installation with the same GUI file and the Sheepshaver,exe file is dated 2 days ago, when I installed it and the size is 630kb. In this one, the emulator boots up and runs, but the GUI gives a Windows alert that says "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application", whatever the devil that means.

Both also inform me that the cdenable.sys file is missing, although the file is in the Windows\System32\Drivers folder as instructed.

Obviously, the emulator and the gui will both run on my system, but I can't get them both up in one place.

This has been a nightmare. Is there, anywhere in the universe, a single package that contains all the appropriate files. It took days to track down all the DLL files this thing kept asking for, and I still can't seem to assemble a complete working installation. There simply has to be a better way than assembling things from all over the place like I've been reduced to doing.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Your installation of the GTK package has been unsuccessful. In your environment settings somehow the path to the dlls included in that package is not set or not set correctly.
That's why it keeps asking about the dll's. I can provide you with how the relevant environment variables are set on my machine, perhaps you can distill from it how the path on your machine should look. These are based on the standard installation location of the GTK package: C:\GTK

The GUI, once running, expects the SheepShaver program to be called SheepShaver.exe (exactly) and to be in the same folder as the GUI.

The immediate shut down might have something to do with the prefs indicating the location of the rom file not being set correctly.

The missing cdenable.sys warning stems from the fact that in 64 bit system this location has changed. See our guide: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... patibility

The version of SheepShaver you are using will not be able to read cdroms. Perhaps it is to be advised to use the latest version we provide: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5325 It doesn't need the cdenable.sys driver to be present and can read cdroms on 64 bit systems.

btw: all preferences are kept in a file called sheepshaver_prefs in the folder in which the SheepShaver program resides (so there can be multiple prefs files if you have multiple folders with a SheepShaver program). These files can be edited with a text editor. Mostly, only a few entries need editing to run/change sheepshaver behaviour, so perhaps that is also a way to get around GUI problems.

Environment settings:
GTK_BASEPATH = C:\GTK

INCLUDE = C:\GTK\INCLUDE;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\GTK-2.0;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\GLIB-2.0;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\PANGO-1.0;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\CAIRO;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\ATK-1.0;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\GTKGLEXT-1.0;C:\GTK\LIB\GTK-2.0\INCLUDE;C:\GTK\LIB\GLIB-2.0\INCLUDE;C:\GTK\LIB\GTKGLEXT-1.0\INCLUDE;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\LIBGLADE-2.0;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\LIBXML2;

LIB=C:\GTK\LIB;

PATH = %GTK_BASEPATH%\bin; ....

Best,
Cat_7
Buddha9596
Space Cadet

Post by Buddha9596 »

I now have things running, although not as advertised. Putting cdenable.sys in the other folder got rid of that issue (Warning on bootup that file was absent).

The latest (I believe) sheepshaver exe, from SheepShaver_01=03=2015 still results in immediate shutdown after the emulator loads. The Sheepshaver.exe sized 630kb, whatever the version that is, works OK. Since I didn't change anything other than the EXE file, I can't see ROM location or anything along those lines being the culprit since all is the same in the working and non-working versions except the EXE file itself.

I didn't mess with the path statements since the DLL problem seems to have fixed itself. I did see Alt+Enter mentioned as a full screen/windows switch. I can't get that to work, but it's more an annoyance than a real problem.

Thanx much for all your help with this mess. I'd be lying if I claimed I understood why things now work and before they didn't.

I have to say that I've been playing around with and using PCs since DOS 2,0, and this is without a doubt the most "User Hostile" package I've ever seen, at least the installation part. If I wasn't stubborn and a lover of tinkering with things, I'd have given up long ago.

Thanx again,

Buddha