Any Fix Yet For Blue Screen Issue On Mac OS X?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Any Fix Yet For Blue Screen Issue On Mac OS X?

Post by Old-School-BBSer »

I haven't posted here in quite a while, so I thought I'd stop by, share an update, and ask a question.

I have continued to successfully run SheepShaver 2.4 (20140201) on my 24" iMac. It has been as stable as a rock without any issues, and my old school Macintosh-oriented PC-ANSI BBS, and my old school Macintosh-oriented Hotline server, continue to chug along just fine. In fact, I am currently running SheepShaver under the El Capitan Golden Master.

The only issue which remains -- which is already well-known -- is the blue screen issue which results when you minimize SheepShaver's window into the Dock, and then extract it again from the Dock.

While I already know about the Monitors control panel fix, I was wondering if anyone ever found a permanent fix to this problem. I know it is doubtful, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

In fact, I recently purchased Windowmizer -- the modern version of the popular old hack called Windowshade -- and I was hoping that using Windowmizer might possibly eliminate the blue screen problem, being as it merely scrolls up the window like a windowshade, and doesn't send the SheepShaver window to the Dock.

Sadly, Windowmizer does not fix the blue screen issue. If you scroll up and then unscroll the SheepShaver window, there the blue screen is again. Oh well. :(

Thanks again to all the folks here, and others elsewhere, who have helped to keep SheepShaver and old school Macintosh computing alive. :)
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
Guam, Mariana Islands, USA
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Any Fix Yet For Blue Screen Issue On Mac OS X?

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

There are workarounds, as described in several topics, but no permanent fix.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

My main workaround is to toss SheepShaver into its own virtual desktop, and then I can pull it up when I want to. That way it doesn't clutter up the main desktop.
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Post by Old-School-BBSer »

As I just explained in two other posts, after considering all of my options, I decided to go with the AppleScript option. That way, I keep all of the functionality of SheepShaver 2.4 (20140201), I don't risk messing things up between "SheepShaver_10-25-2009_UB.zip" and El Capitan Golder Master, and double-clicking a desktop applet beats having to dig into OS 9's "Monitors" control panel and switching the color depth twice, and then closing the control panel.

For those of you who are running Mac OS 9.0.4, I explain exactly what I did in order to get the applet to work in the other two posts, following emendelson's suggestion.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
Guam, Mariana Islands, USA