OS 9 media issue

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Powertrip
Space Cadet

OS 9 media issue

Post by Powertrip »

Hi!

I have successfully gotten an OS 8.5 install going but both of the images I have found for 9 give me the error of can only start from original media? I was under the impression that I cannot use a physical CD with 10.10.

I have a .dsk file with a 9 system folder but that is all it has. Is my best bet trying to grab the applications folder and other odds and ends? Or is there an ISO floating around that works or even just a clean installed disk image? Thanks guys!
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: OS 9 media issue

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Working and complete OS 9 images can easily be found on the macintoshgarden site or elsewhere.
A CD image should be locked (set to read-only) before starting SheepShaver. That way Mac OS will think it is running from a CD.

Best,
Cat_7
Powertrip
Space Cadet

Re: OS 9 media issue

Post by Powertrip »

Thanks! I believe setting it to locked must have been my failed step. As the one I tried actually was from the Garden.

Thanks for the help with what should have been an obvious step. I followed the directions my first time through and thought that I remembered it all with this round. I guess this is why doctors and pilots have checklists!