Sheepshaver Desktop

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

redgoriya
Space Cadet

Sheepshaver Desktop

Post by redgoriya »

Hey all. I was wondering if anyone can tell me where the desktop of SheepShaver is saved in OS X.

The long version of the story: I've been using SS for awhile, saved things to the desktop, upgraded to El Capitan, can't open the old version, want to restore the files from Time Machine, can't find them.

Thank you!!

+j
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Sheepshaver Desktop

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Depends on the volume (disk) on which the files were. In the old MacOS each disk has its own Desktop (in fact an invisible folder "Desktop Folder") and what you see is the combined desktop of all mounted volumes. The Desktop Folder is visible in OSX though.

Files that were moved from the 'Unix' volume to the desktop will be in the folder "Desktop Folder" in the shared folder that corresponds with the Unix volume. Files that were on a disk image volume can be viewed when that image is mounted in OSX. The desktop files will be in the Desktop Folder.

Most image files that were used in SheepShaver can be mounted in OSX after the extension .dmg is added to the file name.
redgoriya
Space Cadet

Post by redgoriya »

Wonderful! I've tried to swap out disk images but now I get the question mark disk when I try to start Sheepshaver...
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Yes, after you changed the file names, paths to those images in preferences are not correct anymore and SheepShaver cannot find the startup disk. Either change back the file names or change the volume list in preferences to reflect the new paths.
redgoriya
Space Cadet

Post by redgoriya »

Actually the problem seemed to be that I just had the disk image open in OS X. Everything works perfectly now. Thank you!!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Indeed. To prevent file system corruption on the disk image volumes when they are mounted in both host and guest system at the same time, the more recent SheepShaver builds prevent that double mounting.
redgoriya
Space Cadet

Post by redgoriya »

Great! Problem solved! Thank you for all your help.