"Unable to prepare sound id"

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

calion
Student Driver

"Unable to prepare sound id"

Post by calion »

I'm attempting to play "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego" 3.5, available at the Macintosh Garden. When I run it, after the intro movie I get an error: "unable to prepare waveform sound id #41 :error #10000"

Any ideas as to what's going on? The readme included with the game was no help.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: "Unable to prepare sound id"

Post by adespoton »

You're trying to play it in 9.0.4 with the default Quicktime extensions?

I think you'd have better luck playing it in 7.5.3 with BII.
Calypto
Space Cadet

Re: "Unable to prepare sound id"

Post by Calypto »

I figured out a solution to this error! I encountered the same error trying to run Carmen World 3.5 from Macintosh Garden on SheepShaver, but with different numbers. The Intro movie would play, then it would crash with this message. This was the same both on MacOS 9 and MacOS 7.5. I'm running SheepShaver on a Mac.

My solution was to install it on Basilisk, running 7.5, then copy the installed files across to SheepShaver also running 7.5. The game launches and plays correctly, albeit at 256 colours, instead of thousands that it could have if it was installed natively on PowerPC.

Since I grew up playing Carmen Sandiego on a PowerPC, it definitely should be able to run on SheepShaver without a workaround. But something is causing this error, either within this particular disk image, or with how SheepShaver is handling the audio.