Cannot create dsk larger than 10GB in SheepShaver?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

ktazn2k
Space Cadet

Cannot create dsk larger than 10GB in SheepShaver?

Post by ktazn2k »

I'm running the latest build of SheepShaver on OS X 10.11.1 El Capitan. I'm using the built-in dsk creator to create disks for OS 9. I'm having trouble creating disks larger than 10GB. If I go over 10GB, then nothing happens. Anything 10GB under seems fine.

Does the software currently have limitations on how large a disk is? I need at least a 20GB disk to store all my files, and don't wish to resort to having a bunch of multiple disks.

Thanks for any answers.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Cannot create dsk larger than 10GB in SheepShaver?

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I do not know the possibilities in Disk Utility in El Capitan, I understand it has changed (at least its interface), but in Disk Utility in OSX up to Yosemite you can create HFS+ formatted read/write disk images that will work in SheepShaver. (Note that the image file name extension is irrelevant for SheepShaver, it does not need to be .dsk.)
that-ben
Granny Smith

Re: Cannot create dsk larger than 10GB in SheepShaver?

Post by that-ben »

Hi. Sorry for my late reply. I have created huge disk images using OSX 10.10 (Yosemite) but haven't tried the same command with 10.11 yet.

If you're still looking for very large disk images to use with SheepShaver, you may download this 30GB HFS+ blank hard disk image which will work perfectly in Mac OS 8 and 9. Be patient while uncompressing it (may take a couple minutes) and make sure you have at least 32GB of free space on your target drive first :P http://www.macintoshrepository.org/download.php?id=3165

For the record, I used this command to create my disk images, feel free to replace "40G" with any amount of Gigabytes you need, but keep in mind Mac OS 9 cannot boot a volume that is bigger than 120GB...

hdiutil create -fs HFS+ -o "/Users/ben/Desktop/test-40g.dmg" -size 40G -layout SPUD -type UDIF -nospotlight