Mouse in Fullscreen very slow?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

MetalSnake
Granny Smith

Mouse in Fullscreen very slow?

Post by MetalSnake »

Didn't use SheepShaver in a while and just made a new setup for it.

Works good so far, but when I enter full screen using control+return it becomes damn slow to move the cursor. The guest OS seems to run at normal speed though.

My setup:
Mac Book Pro Retina 2012 with an external monitor connected (Resolution 2560x1440)
OS X 10.11.2
VMWare 7.1.3 (running fullscreen on the external monitor)

Inside VMWare:
OS X 10.8.5
SheepShaver runs inside VMWare with Mac OS 9.0.4

First I tried at native 2560x1440 resolution, then changed SheepShaver to 1024x768 (gets upscaled in fullscreen) but cursor moves just as slow.

Any ideas?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Mouse in Fullscreen very slow?

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

SheepShaver uses a different method for displaying the cursor in window mode vs full-screen mode. In window mode it uses the "hardware cursor" mostly, the cursor is in that mode in fact the host OSX cursor. In full-screen mode it can use the "software cursor" only. In that mode the cursor is drawn by the emulator. Nothing you (or I) can do about it. The smoothest software cursor movements will be achieved when refresh rate in SheepShaver preferences is set to "Dynamic".

Edit: The setting "Dynamic" can only be used effectively with SheepShaver running directly on a fast host machine. Not sure how it will work in your setup.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
MetalSnake
Granny Smith

Post by MetalSnake »

ok thanks. Might just let it in windowed mode as big as possible then.

Another thing (although off topic) is, I found a copy of Hotline 1.8.5. When I try to start it SheepShaver crashes. Is this a known problem or is my copy broken or something?

edit: fixed by installing Carbon Lib 1.6 (1.0.1 was installed, seems like Apple did shut down the OS 9 update server)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

MetalSnake wrote:seems like Apple did shut down the OS 9 update server)
Indeed, happened about two years ago. CarbonLib 1.6 used to be the only available update for 9.0.4.