Sheepshaver won't start

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

gorans
Inquisitive Elf

Re: Sheepshaver won't start

Post by gorans »

Unfortunately, it didn't work. Still same hang after sheepshaver window appears.

As everything works on the same machine/OS under other user, there is clearly something wrong in my user setup. I just can't detect what.

I searched and deleted all instances of files that had sheepshaver in the name (both visible and invisible) but to no avail.

I completed the system scan with Etrecheck and You can take a look at the results here: http://www.filedropper.com/etrecheck

Best regards,
Goran
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I am sorry, I can't think of anything more. Does everything else work as expected?

Could there be a user permissions issue?
See for repairing user permissions (works in OSX 10.7 and later):
http://osxdaily.com/2011/11/15/repair-u ... os-x-lion/

However, I do not know if this works for a user with Home folder on a different disk.
gorans
Inquisitive Elf

Post by gorans »

I booted from recovery and checked permissions and ALCs as suggested. Didn't help.

I had another HD lying around and decided to migrate my user folder (and ONLY my user folder) from old HD to the new. Then I took off old HD and started my user from Home folder on the new disk. Lo and behold, sheepshaver is working! I still dont know what was wrong with old setup: system and system SSD are the same, home folder is pristine copy...

Old HD was bootable and had my backup OS installation so I could boot from it if SSD dies. Maybe that was to confusing for Sheepshaver?

Best regards,
Goran
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Maybe, maybe something else, maybe conflicting user ID's. Anyway, glad that it is now working for you.
gorans
Inquisitive Elf

Post by gorans »

User ID is the same (501 before and after), I only changed location of the home folder. I'm glad also. :)