SheepShaver_44_SDL + MacOS 8.6 = No sound.

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

bbvva
Space Cadet

SheepShaver_44_SDL + MacOS 8.6 = No sound.

Post by bbvva »

Greetings fine Sirs and Ladies,

My main OS is Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa, Cinnamon.

I managed to get MacOS 8.6 running via SheepShaver (using build, that I downloaded from this forum, windowed mode).

I also installed my favourite game ever (Escape Velocity).

Problem is I have no sound. In Control Panels, Monitors & Sound, Sound, Sound Output is empty. Sound Input shows "Microphone", Sound Output Quality shows "0.000 kHz". I clicked the question mark over there, to get some extra info, but then SheepShaver crashed. Same when I tried to open QuickTime, another crash.

I found a topic, saying that no sound issue has something to do with OSS vs PulseAudio (http://emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6879). I typed

Code: Select all

padsp /usr/bin/SheepShaver 
in my terminal, and found out that I don't have SheepShaver bin... probably because I am using build straight from the folder, ermmm, it's not installed I mean. So there can't be any bin file in /usr/bin... right?

I would really appreciate any help here, thank you. And forgive me my english, it's not my mothertongue.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: SheepShaver_44_SDL + MacOS 8.6 = No sound.

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

To enable sound, you need to select “built-in” for the output device in "Sound" control panel, not in "Monitors & Sound" control panel. In MacOS 8.6 the "Sound" control panel is installed in the “Apple Extras” folder. You can use it there to select the built-in output device.
bbvva
Space Cadet

Post by bbvva »

Thank you very much! You made my day! Playing Escape Velocity without the sound of Heavy Rocket being launched wasn't the same...

I played this game with my friend, when we were 12. Memories are back!

Thank you sir.

P.S. Should I add [SOLVED] to the topic?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

bbvva wrote:Should I add [SOLVED] to the topic?
You could, but we hardly ever do that here. In a longer running thread you couldn't even do it. The forum settings are such that editing by regular users is prohibited after a set time period.