Sheepshaver problems on Fedora 21

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

ozymandias
Space Cadet

Sheepshaver problems on Fedora 21

Post by ozymandias »

Hi!

I'm having some problems running Sheepshaver on Fedora 21

-Put the imac update 1.1 and tomeviewer linked to on the ROMs on a physical imac and extracted the ROM.
-Made disk image of OS9 disk on the physical imac (read-only, not compressed)
-Copied both onto HFS formatted USB stick

-Installed Sheepshaver from yum

-Mounted OS9 disk image
-Set aside 300Mb hard file.. thingy
-Pointed to ROM file

> got low level error message

-disabled SELinux in config file

> pressing start has window start up, but then immediately close

- renamed ROM file to exactly "Mac OS ROM"
- fiddled with unix root, serial, and other settings

> no effect

- Ticked the "Ignore Illegal Memory Access" button in Memory/Misc

>now the window starts up but stays there doing nothing.

Is there something I should have done differently with the disk image or ROM? Or maybe more settings to change with Fedora?

Thanks!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Sheepshaver problems on Fedora 21

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Not sure if that is the only issue here, but the disk image must be made read/write. SheepShaver cannot handle the format of disk images that are created read-only. If the read/write image is created from a MacOS install CD, the image file should then be labeled locked or read only in the host file system.
ozymandias
Space Cadet

Post by ozymandias »

Yes, it looks to be a more fundamental problem.

SheepShaver seems to look for /dev/cdrom, which it does not find since I have no optical media drive. It doesn't look like there is an obvious way to point to /run/media/USER/ instead? If not, I'll look into symbolic links.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You can leave the path empty in the prefs file:

Code: Select all

cdrom 
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
ozymandias
Space Cadet

Post by ozymandias »

I'm not quite sure where to do that in the prefs, but I made a symbolic link. No real change.

I'm also not sure why I didn't just run things from the terminal to begin with, as there is useful-looking error information.

After pressing start and having the program close there is:
> Usual output, "Reading ROM file..." etc.
> Register values
> Stack trace
> "*** buffer overflow detected ***: SheepShaver terminated"
> "Backtrace"
> "Memory Map"

Running the program but pressing Quit instead of Start, there is a message about an X Window System error
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Symbolic link where to what? You wrote that you do not have an optical media drive, so you cannot mount physical CD-ROMs in SheepShaver. Apart from CDs, SheepShaver uses disk images only as volumes. Paths to the image files should be defined in the prefs file, can be done in the volumes list in the GUI if your SheepShaver has one. The images should NOT be mounted on the host system! So what is the use of pointing SheepShaver to your media?

Have you seen the SheepShaver for Linux setup guide? http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ubuntu
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
ozymandias
Space Cadet

Post by ozymandias »

I made a symbolic link to create a "/dev/cdrom" that links to "/run", where media is mounted. I made the symbolic link because there was an error that it was not found.

...Of course the once sentence I had to skip over in reading the linux page was the one that begins "If you are using a CD image instead...".

Oops.

I've copied over the image to the same directory that I have the hard-file and ROM file and created a line in the Volumes tab. I've made sure that I've set the .img file to read only in it's preferences.

Same sort of behavior though.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi

You should never mount the image you try to boot from. It should be entered in the prefs file, either under a disk or the cdrom entry.
Please note that the SheepShaver you installed might not work. Did your try our versions? Please note that you need the SDL 1.2 development libraries installed to get the SDL versions to work. Also: you need the GTK+ development libraries to get the GUI to show up.

Best,
Cat_7
ozymandias
Space Cadet

Post by ozymandias »

Please note that the SheepShaver you installed might not work. Did your try our versions?
This [ http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads/She ... 7-2013.zip ] version worked straight out of the box for me.

Thank you guys for all your help and patience!