SheepShaver problems on Windows 10 - Cannot initialise disk

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Mystyler
Space Cadet

SheepShaver problems on Windows 10 - Cannot initialise disk

Post by Mystyler »

Hello everyone,
I've trawled through a lot of threads but to no avail. Please forgive me if the answer to this is out there already!

I have just got SheepShaver running on my Windows 10 PC. The .iso I'm using is Mac OS 8.6. I have setup exactly as per your guide but when I click, "Start" in the GUI I get the Mac OS 8.6 splash screen and the startup progress bar. However, I'm never asked to initialise the hardfile disk. I'll just get dropped straight onto the Mac OS desktop with three icons. These being Mac OS 8.6 (HDD icon); This PC; and Trash.

If I click on Mac OS 8.6, I can choose to install 8.6, but by selecting a destination disk which I cannot do. If I choose a clean install I can proceed a bit further until I get a warning that says, "The disk Mac OS 8.6 could not be checked". I can click to ignore the warning but I'm ultimately foiled by the error, "No destination disk has been chosen."

I've spent a while trying to figure this out, the only explaination I can come up with is that I'm not correctly creating a hardfile in the GUI? Certainly, nothing obvious seems to happen when I follow the setup instructions.

Any help would be great, thank you.
Mystyler
Space Cadet

Re: SheepShaver problems on Windows 10 - Cannot initialise d

Post by Mystyler »

Ok, so I am indeed at least partially a Space Cadet. I did not give the hardfile a name. :oops:

However, now that I have, the Start Up progress bar now seems stuck at about 1/6 complete...?
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: SheepShaver problems on Windows 10 - Cannot initialise d

Post by Cat_7 »

We can wait until you also solve that problem on your own ;-)

Did you set SheepShaver prefs to ignore illegal memory access etc?. edit the prefs file and set:
ignoresegv true
ignoreillegal true
ether (remove any entry here)

Best,
Cat_7