SheepShaver Chokes on my ROM

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Byrhtnoth
Space Cadet

SheepShaver Chokes on my ROM

Post by Byrhtnoth »

I'm running a Mac Mini (Mid 2011) and El Capitan (10.11.2)

The ROM I'm using is a G3 Wallstreet PDQ ROM that I personally pulled from my laptop. It checksums correctly, both MD5 and also the Apple checksum (per Ben Boldt's Mac ROM Checksum Verifier).

I rename it Mac OS ROM, and SheepShaver refuses to start--instantly quits on opening, just like the documentation says if it can't find a ROM.

I found the virgin VM linked by Ronald Regensburg in this thread (http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =20&t=8823), and it started perfectly. I pulled the ROM from the package contents and swapped it with my ROM, and application outside the VM started perfectly, and the VM version failed.

Clearly it doesn't like my ROM. But why?

I was hoping to use my PowerBook's MacOS 8.1 install CD, but I'm assuming that trying it with another ROM is liable to cause issues.

Any ideas on what gives?
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: SheepShaver Chokes on my ROM

Post by Cat_7 »

To boot Mac OS below 8.5 you need an old world rom. See the Redundant robot site for a "sure-to-work" rom. You should also use a universal install cd, not a cd for a specific mac model.

Best,
Cat7
Byrhtnoth
Space Cadet

Post by Byrhtnoth »

Wallstreet PDQ is an Old World ROM.

And the issue isn't that I can't boot. It's that SheepShaver won't even start. Can't set prefs to a boot disk.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Without a compatible rom file (better get one that is known to work), that is renamed "Mac OS ROM" (without quotation marks and without file name extension), and that is located in the same folder as the SheepShaver application, SheepShaver will quit on launch.
See setup manual for more details: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... os_x_setup
Byrhtnoth
Space Cadet

Post by Byrhtnoth »

Sure. This I understand. I've already gotten it working using the resources available online.

My question was as to why it chokes on Wallstreet PDQ ROMs, and whether this is a known issue, etc.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

SheepShaver patches the rom file during boot and thus requires/can use a very limited set of roms. Some roms support only a limited subset of machines. If your rom doesn't contain the correct info at the correct location, boot from it, when patched, will be impossible.
It seems this is the case.

I don't know whether there is an up-to-date list of roms that will work. But we do know the roms from the site to which was referred earlier, do support booting.

Best,
Cat_7
Byrhtnoth
Space Cadet

Post by Byrhtnoth »

The dots are connecting for me now. Thanks for the clarification. I'm happy to pass my ROM to others for testing so that if it definitely does not work, we can add it to the documentation as a known not-working ROM.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I've already done a fairly thorough testing of ROMs; the Powerbook ROMs don't work with SheepShaver or BII from my testing. Quadra/Centris(Performa) ROMs work best for old world, and the ROMs that come with the OS work best for me for new world.