Software Installation Instructions

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

jdanosborn
Space Cadet

Software Installation Instructions

Post by jdanosborn »

I am having an issue being able to install applications into SheepShaver with OS9. I have some files as .img and when trying to install from that it says I need Disk Copy 4.2 which I am not able to find. I also need to find a way to decompress .bin, .sit and .toast files. I also have some games that require a CD so I am assuming I need to "mount" that .img somehow on the desktop so it is seen as a CD-Rom. I have the applications to install in the Shared Folder which may not be correct. I have search around for some basic install and run instructions but am not able to find that. Any help is appreciate. I am running the latest version of SheepShaver with MacOS 9.0 under OS X El Captain with all of those updates included.

Thanks,

Jdanosborn
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Software Installation Instructions

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

That is a big list of issues you are addressing ;-)
1. .sit is a format for which you need the stuff-it application. But the Unarchiver for OSX can also decompress these files. Then put them in the shared folder and read point 4.
2. .toast is just an iso format, you do not need to decompress it. You can add .toast files to the volumes list in SheepShaver. Same is true for other cd image formats. But SheepShaver can't read all cd formats.
3. img files needing diskcopy 4.2: download diskcopy here: http://www.macgui.com/downloads/?file_id=23405 . Move the file to your SheepShaver hard disk and decompress the hqx file.
4. Do not use the shared folder disk for anything else but file exchange. Make sure you have sufficient disk space on your Mac OS 9 hard disk (or add another hard disk) to copy the files to. (do not copy to the desktop, as that actually still leaves the files on the shared disk).
5. Stuff-it can also be obtained here: http://www.emaculation.com/basilisk/stu ... der_55.bin

Do you have a complete installation of OS 9 from a universal install disk? Or did you download some limited OS9 installation. If the latter is true, you are missing a lot of default programs.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

... and please read all of the setup guide carefully. It tells you, among other things, that you cannot run applications from the shared folder.

(Some .img disk images files can also be mounted in the same way as CD image files, by adding them to the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences.)
jdanosborn
Space Cadet

Post by jdanosborn »

Thanks, got all of that figured out. A question from a friend of mine in India who is a programmer is has anyone tried to emulate Open GL or 3D Acceleration or are their inherent road blocks that cannot be overcome? He might have some interest in taking it on as a side project for a challenge.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Pass-trough should be possible, but an issue would be to translate instructions into sets supported by modern graphics card. The old cards supported by MacOS are not readily available anymore ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
jdanosborn
Space Cadet

Post by jdanosborn »

Thanks, I will advise, seems some research on older cards and who has or still owns those products would be key. Can't image if those details are available that anyone would object to providing those free of warranty of course.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

That is not what I meant. I meant: one needs to translate the software calls to hardware acceleration functions that these old mac cards had to correspondig software call to hardware accelerations in newer (and not specific) graphics cards.

One needs the technical documentation about what these old cards supported and then implement that in a way that the newer cards understand.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Here's the basic details to start from:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Rage#RAGE_128

You'll need to be able to translate OpenGL 1.2 calls through as OpenGL 2.0 calls at a minimum.

The ATi Rage also had some direct calls that developers used that didn't rely on OpenGL at all. You'd probably want to figure out what they translate to in OpenGL 2.0 as well.

OpenGL is just entering version 4.5 however, and Apple has switched to Metal; DirectX has changed considerably as well -- so this could be quite a complex task. I'd recommend ensuring the 1.2 calls and the ATi Rage calls are mapped to usable values in OpenGL 2.0 though, as most modern systems can still handle 2.0 calls.