Problems installing OS 8.6

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

TiddK
Granny Smith

Problems installing OS 8.6

Post by TiddK »

I'm running the newest SheepShaver on a mid-2011 Core i5 iMac running OS X 10.6.8, 12GB RAM.

I followed the Installation instructions and set all the Preferences ok, but coming to install Mac OS 8.6, SheepShaver stopped at the blinking ? folder.

My copy of 8.6 is a downloaded .iso image file which I'd 'Locked' as per. Sheepshaver's instructions don't mention where such images should be located, but wherever I put it (Downloads, Documents, Desktop) Sheepshaver couldn't find it. Then I had the idea to put it in the SheepShaver folder itself - SUCCESS! I got the 'Starting Mac OS 8.6' window and a cream desktop.

Unfortunately, I now get :

I clicked 'Cancel' but I still ended up with what seems to be a working Finder :

But, there's nothing much there. Basically, despite having what superficially looks like the 'Classic' OS, 8.6 hasn't installed. What's more, the .iso image has disappeared from the SheepShaver folder. BUT ... if I click the Mac OS 8.6 virtual HD icon, it opens a window with all the files and folders from the .iso image apparently brought in.

What should I do now? My Mac OS 8.6 virtual HD is 400MB (I only wanted to play one of my old games) but 8.6 is over 600MB, yet it all seems to be there, though now within the virtual HD.

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Problems installing OS 8.6

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Not sure how you got SheepShaver to recognize the image. It can be located anywhere, does not need to be in the SheepShaver folder. The image file needs to be added to the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences. In the Open dialog you should be able to browse to it regardless where it is.

Apparently SheepShaver starts up fine from the 8.6 System. That 400MB "disk" must be a different file that is in the volumes list. The MacOS will suggest to initialize any new unformatted volume in the list, like the volume that you created as target volume for installation as described in the setup manual.

Check the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences. The answer should be there.
TiddK
Granny Smith

Post by TiddK »

Ah yes. The Sheepshaver preferences lists my OS X Desktop as the .iso file path, and it is there - apparently I must have copied, not moved it, to the Sheepshaver folder.

So that solves the mystery of where Sheepshaver is getting OS 8.6 from.

That just leaves the problem of the uninitialised disk - that's the virtual HD I created in the Preferences. (The drive showing as 'Mac OS 8.6' on the screenshot must be what it thinks is the CD but taken from the .iso image).

The virtual HD it can't recognise is the 400MB file I created in Preferences as 'MacOS8', which is currently in the Sheepshaver folder. Your instructions are clear enough from that point on - I let it initialise as 'Extended' and give it a suitable name.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

TiddK wrote:apparently I must have copied, not moved it, to the Sheepshaver folder.
You cannot move locked files, it will result in a copy. If you want to move a locked file you first need to unlock it.
TiddK
Granny Smith

Post by TiddK »

It's all working now - many thanks. :smile: