Windows 7 64bit immediate crash

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

whiteflash
Space Cadet

Windows 7 64bit immediate crash

Post by whiteflash »

EDIT: the sheepshaver version i downloaded was SheepShaver (05-05-2010) with the "To get started, always download this:" package.

EDIT 2: I also downloaded the SheepShaver_01-03-2015 and replaced the original sheepshaver.exe with this one (same immediate crash) and did the same with SheepShaver_06-05-2013 with the same results, i feel like im missing something..

Hi! Im new here trying to play Castle Seige and Conquest (just bought the disk!) but alas my girlfriends macosX laptop cant run it and it seems i need OS9 or earlier. Im not a fan of the DOS version of this game and i REALLY want to play it!! So here we go..

After setting up sheepshaver via this guide: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_setup and downloading this ROM (New World PPC ROM) i Hit START from the memory/misc tab and sheepshaver immediately fails.

I have memory set to 1024, and my volumes file is named mac9.hfv
I changed the screen refresh to 60hz, but rather than that i followed the guide. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

I posted the error message below.

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: SheepShaver.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4be119af
Fault Module Name: SheepShaver.exe
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4be119af
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0005631b
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 6f76
Additional Information 2: 6f76aac3f87e0b660a93d482ba60a92b
Additional Information 3: 3953
Additional Information 4: 395393435c5343b8636925218769dfc5
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Re: Windows 7 64bit immediate crash

Post by Jorpho »

whiteflash wrote:Hi! Im new here trying to play Castle Seige and Conquest (just bought the disk!) but alas my girlfriends macosX laptop cant run it and it seems i need OS9 or earlier. Im not a fan of the DOS version of this game and i REALLY want to play it!! So here we go..
Mmm, fond memories of that one. How is it improved over the DOS version? Are there videos or some such out there?

According to http://www.atpm.com/3.06/page12.shtml the game will run in System 6.0.7, so you're probably much better off using Mini vMac or Basilisk II.
I have memory set to 1024
That doesn't seem to be in the guide. It's probably not a good idea to have it set that high either.
whiteflash
Space Cadet

Post by whiteflash »

What is the easiest to setup in your opinion? I bought the actual disk for the game that ill be installing it with.

As far as i know the dos version isnt much improved but i could be wrong, the MAC versions is so much more slick with the interface IMO.

Thanks for the repsonse!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Your best bet is probably Mini vMac with System 7.5.3 and a Plus ROM image, if you want to do it in black & whilte. If you want to play the color version, Basilisk II with 7.5.3 and a Quadra/Centris/Performa ROM is probably best.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I was using SheepShaver occasionally with my W7-64 box and did not see any problems.
Of course a working SDL package has to be installed and the settings have to be configured correctly in the GUI before running SS.

You might try this bootable image and the Old World ROM to get things rolling:
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macos-753-emulators

My Windows box has been upgraded to W10, but I may give it a go again.
The procedure to set up SS is still the same.
SS needs a consecutive patch of RAM starting from a fixed address, so reducing RAM for SS may help if some other app on the host has reserved RAM in the area SS expects to use.
I do have this issue on a OS X 10.6 host where 768 MB is the most I may give to SheepShaver.

On a side note, SS may run nicer on your girl friend´s Mac, as OS X still takes care of resource forks used in HFS. (MacOS 3 to 9)
Therefore you may download and expand files with a OS X host, unstuff with The Unarchiver and copy files to the emulators "hard disk" via the Unix folder without spoiling them.
You may also use old Mac CDs with SS, given you still have an optical drive and OS X is 10.9 or lower.

Edit:
Just set up SS with Howards "always start with this" package and the image I posted over at MG.
The first SS startup may take awhile and SS jumps to the "Task bar" line complaining about the missing CD-ROM driver.
Should look like this on your side finally:

From there you may install a fresh OS 7.5.3 to 9.0.4 in your desired language on a blank disk image file.
The Mac Antology DVDs cover a lot of old MacOS flavors...

You may also play the game you bought. :)
The newer version of SS should handle Mac CDs on a 64bit Windows host.