Difficulty to run .smi files

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

dabuchenauer
Space Cadet

Difficulty to run .smi files

Post by dabuchenauer »

I'm trying to install Quicktime 4.0.2 and some other applications which have .smi files. However, when I double click them, I get the following error message in OS 9.0.4: Unable to execute "QuickTime Installer.smi". This file cannot be used on this file system. Copy to a Macintosh HFS or Macintosh Enhanced disk and try again (-8812)

This is a new install of SheepShaver (SheepShaver_UB_20140201) on a disk running El Capitan 10.11.3. I did format the OS9 disk as HFS+, so a bit baffled as to what the problem can be. I use SheepShaver on an older disk running 10.6.8 with issues.

Dean Buchenauer
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Difficulty to run .smi files

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I suppose you move the .smi files from the OSX host to MacOS in SheepShaver. If you use the shared folder/Unix volume feature, make sure to copy the files from 'Unix' to another volume first. (Do not move the files directly from Unix to the desktop. They will still be on the Unix volume, in a folder "Desktop Folder" in the shared folder.)
dabuchenauer
Space Cadet

Post by dabuchenauer »

Thanks, that was certainly the problem with running the .smi file. I can now run the Quicktime installer, although it doesn't update the Quicktime applications in the Application folder. Rather, it installs a separate new set in a QuickTime Folder in the MacOS9HD volume. Not sure why, but I guess I can delete the old version.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

That is normal behavior. Pre-existing QuickTime files in the System Folder (extensions and a control panel) are replaced by an update. You can trash the old QuickTime folder.

You installed QT 4.0.2? The latest QuickTime version that is compatible with SheepShaver is 4.1.2: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1134?viewlocale=en_US