Sheepshaver crashes instantly in El Capitan

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

poisonarena
Space Cadet

Sheepshaver crashes instantly in El Capitan

Post by poisonarena »

I just bought a brand new 2015 Macbook Air 13" (4gb ram) with El Capitan installed by default.

It is running in 32-bit mode.. just crashes immediately upon start.

Sheepshaver was the first thing I installed after libreoffice so I dont think there is something else mucking it up. :wink:
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Sheepshaver crashes instantly in El Capitan

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Did you follow the setup guide instructions. Specifically, did you install a compatible rom file in the folder with SheepShaver and renamed that rom file "Mac OS ROM"? Without it, SheepShaver quits on launch.
poisonarena
Space Cadet

Post by poisonarena »

Yes, from Redundant Robot, New World PPC rom and in the folder, just opens for a split second and crashes, renamed and everything
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The file from Redundant Robot has a file name extension .rom. While renaming the file to "Mac OS ROM", did you make sure the extension was removed and not just hidden? You can check this in Finder Info for the file. (In the Finder, select the file and hit command-I.)

While setting up this new Mac, did you transfer (migrate) anything (like your Home folder) from a previous Mac?

BTW: SheepShaver is not code signed, so GateKeeper will prevent it from launching. With default security settings in system preferences you will need to right-click (or control-click) the application icon and choose "Open..." from the contextual menu to launch it the first time.