Read & place a file created in Windows

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

ccipp
Space Cadet

Read & place a file created in Windows

Post by ccipp »

Hi everyone
Sorry to shortcuting everything with this question that probably was answered and solved since it seems a simple one. I haven't found an answer because the possible search terms give to many answers. So I want to narrow it by asking you directly:
How can a Windows created file be red in MacOS 9 with a no matter what software?
Some more details: I have an ASCII file created with a Windows software that I want to use with another software in MaOS 9.
I put the file in the SheepShaver directory in the VirtualDeskotp/Desktop Folder directory and tried to open it directly with the software, it didn't work.
I tried to copy it from the initial position to another folder ion MacOS Desktop and had the same issue.
So again how can or where should I put the file, and/or any other trick to allow it to be red?
Regards to all!
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Read & place a file created in Windows

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

First of all you should move your file to the actual SheepShaver hard disk. Do not leave it on the desktop.
If the file is ASCII, then try open the program with which you want to read the file and open the file through the program's menu (File/Open).

Best,
Cat_7
ccipp
Space Cadet

Post by ccipp »

Hi
I moved it to the virtual drive *.hfv file created during install.
The message is "The Text document "..." could not be opened, because the application program that created it could not be found" probably a sign that it has lost its Mac format.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

If the file is truly just ascii, it can be opened in SimpleText. Launch SimpleText and open the file from the File menu.