Troubles with SheepShaver and Mac OSs other than 9.0.x

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

NavyBrat
Space Cadet

Troubles with SheepShaver and Mac OSs other than 9.0.x

Post by NavyBrat »

I have another question if nobody minds. I was trying to set up SheepShaver with a variety of retail Mac OS versions and I can't get anything to install but Mac OS 9.0 and 9.0.4. I've tried all the retail versions of Mac OS 7.6, 7.6.1 and 8.5 on my Mac OS X 10.10.5 MacBook, but I keep getting the same error: "This startup disk will not work on this Macintosh model. Use the latest installer to update this disk for this model.." I was wondering if there was something that I was doing wrong or missing. I thank you so much again for all of your nice help.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Troubles with SheepShaver and Mac OSs other than 9.0.x

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Which ROM file do you use?

With the recommended new world rom file that can be downloaded from the Redundant Robot web-site, you should be able to run MacOS 8.5. Are you sure the install disk image is created from a true retail install CD?

For running earlier MacOS versions you need to use an old world rom file (also available on the Redundant Robot site).
NavyBrat
Space Cadet

Post by NavyBrat »

Thank you again so much Mr. Regensburg. I should have thought about that. I tried the "Mac OS ROM" which, if I remember correctly, was from a Mac OS 9.x.x cd and I also tried the new world rom from Redundant Robot. It makes perfect sense. Let me try the old world rom and I'll report right back with what happened. Again, I thank you so very much Mr. Regensburg. You are very kind.
NavyBrat
Space Cadet

Post by NavyBrat »

The Old World Power Macintosh ROM ("Old World 4mb ROM" on http://www.redundantrobot.com/sheepshaver-tutorial/) worked like a charm. I just booted up my Mac OS 7.6.1 cd on it with a perfect install. Again, thank you very much for all of your nice help.
TiddK
Granny Smith

Post by TiddK »

Yes - I have the old world ROM to run 7.5.3 in Basilisk, but the new world ROM to run 8.6 in SheepShaver.