Windows 10

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

theredf
Space Cadet

Windows 10

Post by theredf »

So this has been driving me nuts...I have Windows 10 installed and several weeks ago was FINALLY able to get BasiliskII to work. I had never gotten SheepShaver to work.

I came back last week and suddenly Basilisk II wouldn't work AT ALL but I was kind of able to get SheepShaver to boot up, but as soon as I would try opening the game I wanted, it crashes. This did not happen a couple weeks ago.

Frankly, I'd rather use SheepShaver so I can eventually get OS9 going, and I would love to install some of my old OS9 apps, but first I have to get the thing working. Ideally, I'd also like to be able to rip a ROM from my old TiBook, but that may be a question for another day.

Anyway, anyone have any ideas on what I can do to get my SheepShaver up and running? I still have the HD file I created - I just can't really get a functioning boot (particularly with a good graphics refresh rate) going. My PC is an i7 Dell Precision with a ton of power, 8GB RAM, and oodles of HD space - emulating a 15-20 year old computer shouldn't be a problem.

I've put my SheepShaver prefs below - any help would be hugely appreciated!! Thanks!!

disk E:\Mac\SheepShaver\Copeland
cdrom D:\
extfs
screen win/800/600
windowmodes 3
screenmodes 63
seriala COM1
serialb COM2
rom E:\Mac\SheepShaver\Mac_OS_ROM_oldworld
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 536870912
frameskip 1
gfxaccel true
nocdrom true
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
ignoreillegal false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
ignoresegv true
idlewait true
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
enableextfs true
debugextfs false
extdrives CDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
pollmedia false
etherpermanentaddress true
ethermulticastmode 0
routerenabled false
ftp_port_list 21
portfile0 C:\B2TEMP0.OUT
portfile1 C:\B2TEMP1.OUT
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: Windows 10

Post by 24bit »

I may be unwise to start with Copeland as boot volume.
As you are using the OldWorldROM, why not use this to get things rolling?
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macos-753-emulators

The OS9 image from Redundant Robot should do just the same, of course.
theredf
Space Cadet

Post by theredf »

Alright so you raise a great point...I've always named my drive "Copeland" (even back in the mid-90's) even though I've always run the standard OS. Just a weird habit. If you think the name matters, I'll definitely try the good ol' fashioned Macintosh HD, but I wanted to make sure you knew I wasn't running any weird version of the System. I think when I got it up and running before I was able to get System (nee MacOS) 8.1 installed.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

The name won´t matter. :)
Just make sure to have a SSW bootable with SheepShaver.
Both images mentioned above did work for many ohers.

Good luck!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

"as soon as I would try opening the game I wanted, it crashes. This did not happen a couple weeks ago."

"ignoreillegal false"

There's your problem :)
theredf
Space Cadet

Post by theredf »

So when I first noticed that setting, I assumed the same thing. but since I've been trying to get it to work again, I keep flipping that on and off. I'd say 1 of 10 times it'll work, but sometimes its with ignoreillegal false and sometimes it's with ignoreillegal true.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious here...
theredf
Space Cadet

Post by theredf »

I finally got BasiliskII working - I can only guess that MS deployed some update to Windows that initially broke the GTK kit and then fixed it - I literally changed nothing but my boot-up of Basilisk (and SheepShaver) started working today.

Here's another question I've noticed - I have a pretty powerful i7, but SheepShaver is PAINFULLY slow to boot up. The screen refreshes literally line-by-line and takes several minutes. Basilisk just flies. This is true with a variety of ROM's and a boot drive with 7.5.3 (that works just fine in Basilisk) and a boot drive with OS9.

Is this normal or is there some mysterious setting I should be looking at?

Thanks.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

The times I've had this issue, it had to do with me using non-standard screen dimensions for the guest OS. Might want to try 800x600x32 or 1024x768x32 and see if that speeds things up, if you're using different values.
theredf
Space Cadet

Post by theredf »

Dumb question (particularly since I'm a few geographic states away from my machine), but I have to ask anyway: what's the 32 for? If memory serves, the choices for refresh rate are 60 or 30, but maybe I'm wrong and it's 32 Hz (either way, I know that I have mine set to 60 Hz and I did try Dynamic, with the same results).

Thanks.
peter_j
Tinkerer

Post by peter_j »

I think the 32 is the bit depth for colour, not the refresh rate.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Correct; older Macs support 2, 8, 16, 24 and 32 bit colour or grays.
theredf
Space Cadet

Post by theredf »

Thanks! I'll give a test once I get back to my machine.
theredf
Space Cadet

Post by theredf »

Another stupid question - how do I set color depth in Windows 10? I know how to do it on a Mac, but I guess I've never done it in Windows. I've been looking online and I'm not seeing anything obvious...most of the documentation says you can't run 16 bit apps or pertains to W7.
theredf
Space Cadet

Post by theredf »

Actually, scratch that - I confirmed my display settings are at 32 bit (1920x1080 on my machine, running SheepShaver at 1024x768 in a window). Still getting the excruciatingly slow speed and jagged line-by-line boot up. Any other thoughts?

Thanks again!