macOS Sierra

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

macOS Sierra

Post by PeterHolbrook »

From what I've read, it appears that the possibility of running application in 32-bit mode is no longer present in macOS Sierra. I wonder if that will definitively cripple SheepShaver, which can't run in 64-bit mode in El Capitan. Perhaps the QEMU solution will finally be ready by the time Sierra is released to the public.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: macOS Sierra

Post by emendelson »

Speaking in general (because of legal restrictions): (1) don't believe everything you read and (2) don't draw unwarranted conclusions from anything you read.
Bon_Glung
Student Driver

Post by Bon_Glung »

Just so you know, I have SheepShaver 2.4 (2014-02-01) working on macOS Sierra my Late 2009 iMac.

No changes were needed to my El Capitan setup.
iMac 21.5-inch, Late 2009, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB RAM. OS X 10.12.6
erostratus
Space Cadet

Post by erostratus »

Can anyone give advice on how to get SheepShaver working in macOS Sierra? I have installed it on my MacBook for the first time, so I never got to open it in El Capitain. For me, whether I try to open it in 32-bit or 64-bit mode, it simply quits immediately upon opening. I don't get the configuration window before that happens.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Did you follow the instructions in the setup guide? Specifically, did you add a compatible rom file and did you (re)name it as instructed? As described in the setup guide, without such rom file SheepShaver will quit on launch.
erostratus
Space Cadet

Post by erostratus »

Yes, I used a New World ROM and renamed it to "Mac OS ROM" without any quotes or any extension. I don't even get to the Virtual Machine Settings window before SheepShaver quits. It's basically instantaneous.

Thanks!
wpm
Space Cadet

Post by wpm »

Same deal here. 10.12 Sierra, app immediately crashes. Only message in Console is as follows:

com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.ls.appBits
com.apple.message.32bit: 1
com.apple.message.bundle-version: 2.4
com.apple.message.has-64bit-slice: 1
SenderMachUUID: A79BC170-CAEF-DD77-E368-199302281DF2

Screenshot of my SS folder:

ROM was downloaded from http://www.redundantrobot.com/#/sheepshaver (It is the generic New World PPC ROM, but the same behavior has happened when trying with lots of other ROMs)
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Odd; I've got 4 SS VMs running (same build, same ROM) with no issues. What happens if you edit the prefs file to ignore illegal instructions? How about if you disable JIT?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I too get a killed: 9 message. Also when running the SheepShaver executable inside the package. Prefs were already edited by hand...

What made SheepShaver working at my place:
I moved the SheepShaver program out of its folder into the applications folder and tried to run it. No dice.
Then I copied the program to the desktop, deleted the copy in the applications folder, and then moved the program back into the SheepShaver folder and it started working.

EDIT: The behaviour is reproducible with a new download. But the procedure to get it running is simply to copy the program to the desktop, remove the old program in the SheepShaver folder and move the new copy from the desktop to the SheepShaver folder.

Best,
Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Ahh... I run all of mine via sheepvms located within the sheepshaver app itself. I had a similar issue when I attempted to alias the sheepvm or the inner image files from my user folder. Interesting that issues arise in Sierra and not El Cap though.
erostratus
Space Cadet

Post by erostratus »

I had added the SheepShaver folder to my Applications folder, and it didn't work then. I re-unzipped the archive and manually added the new copy of the SheepShaver executable to the SheepShaver folder in the Applications folder, and this did allow the app to open in 32-bit mode on Sierra. Maybe the first unzip was simply corrupt.

Thanks!
vasi
Tinkerer

Post by vasi »

We're discussing this on github: https://github.com/cebix/macemu/issues/98