Cannot get either CD of Myst or .DMG to mount in OS 9. HELP

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

decomposing
Space Cadet

Cannot get either CD of Myst or .DMG to mount in OS 9. HELP

Post by decomposing »

MAC OS 10.6.8
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

I'm trying to play Myst again and cannot get the realmyst masterpiece editions to run on 10.6.8 so I'm going old school.

I have Sheepshaver running through COI and it's great. Myst almost runs but needs the disc. I've tried everything on these forums from burning an exact copy of the disc mounting it and starting SS. but get an unreadable message.

Adding it to the prefs as a DMG and booting up. it sees it but cannot mount because it says it's either not a valid format or cannot because it's not the right disk???

the console just says this
9/6/16 4:05:13 PM [0x0-0x6fb6fb].COI[54739] WARNING: Unknown DiskStatus(6)
9/6/16 4:05:13 PM [0x0-0x6fb6fb].COI[54739] WARNING: Unknown DiskStatus(6)
9/6/16 4:05:13 PM [0x0-0x6fb6fb].COI[54739] FATAL: .AppleCD/Control(100): unimplemented TOC type
9/6/16 4:05:13 PM [0x0-0x6fb6fb].COI[54739] WARNING: Unknown DiskStatus(96)
and keeps goin on...

I've tried adding joilet extensions too with no luck

any suggestions ?

I really want to play Myst again and didn't think it be this hard
decomposing
Space Cadet

Re: Cannot get either CD of Myst or .DMG to mount in OS 9. H

Post by decomposing »

here's the cd info from disk utility

Mount Point : /Volumes/Myst Capacity : 549.2 MB (549,175,296 Bytes)
Format : Mac OS Standard Available : 236 KB (235,520 Bytes)
Write Status : Read Only Used : 548.6 MB (548,597,760 Bytes)
Number of Folders : 10 Number of Files : 299

I used to Toast to make a copy of the DMG
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

If you created it with Toast, shouldn't it show up as a .toast file?

Have you tried locking that file in the OS X Finder, then adding it as a cdrom in Prefs?

I presume if you're using COI (not supported on this site) that you're using the stripped down OS 9 version. Your luck may improve with a full install of OS 9 on a vanilla SheepShaver, set up as per the wiki here. Plus, as you're on 10.6, you should then just be able to pop in the CD into your machine and have it be recognized in SheepShaver. The problem is likely with your OS 9 install, but may also have something to do with COI (which has its quirks).
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

As said above, installing SheepShaver from scratch and setting up a complete MacOS of your choice would be preferable.
On my side, all Mac CDs can be mounted by SS under 10.6.8 merely by inserting the CD into the optical drive.
Should work for you just the same with your Superdrive.

If you have to create disk images of Mac HFS CDs, best use IMGBurn on some kind of Windows rig.
Even a virtual machine running W2K can do that.
The resulting ISO is best mounted with http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/virtual ... cd-utility
To do so the ISO MUST reside on the SheepShaver "HDD" - not at the SS desktop.
With this procedure a lot of games can be fooled into "thinking" their CD is there.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

24bit wrote:To do so the ISO MUST reside on the SheepShaver "HDD" - not at the SS desktop.
With this procedure a lot of games can be fooled into "thinking" their CD is there.
If the Virtual DVD-ROM/CD Utility cannot mount the iso file as the "real CD" this way, one can first mount the iso file on the SheepShaver desktop by adding it to the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences and use the Virtual DVD-ROM/CD Utility to create a new image from the mounted volume and save it on the SheepShaver HD or other large enough volume in SheepShaver (not the 'Unix' disk). The Virtual DVD-ROM/CD Utility can mount again that image, which will then appear to MacOS (and the game software) as the real CD.
This procedure will work in a regular SheepShaver setup (not easily in COI) and is described in the "Known Issues" section of our SheepShaver OSX setup guide.
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... own_issues
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

decomposing wrote:I really want to play Myst again and didn't think it be this hard
If I'm not mistaken, the non-realMyst editions are supported by ScummVM now. (Riven is also supported in the nightly builds.)
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I´m not a gamer, but to get the game running isn´t hard at all.
Try with the .toast image from Max1zzz`s server.
http://macintoshgarden.org/games/myst
Run SheepShaver.
Move the .sit file to the emulator´s HDD.
Inflate the image and mount it as written above.
Thats all - you will know how to play better than I do. :)
MetalSnake
Granny Smith

Post by MetalSnake »

Jorpho wrote:
decomposing wrote:I really want to play Myst again and didn't think it be this hard
If I'm not mistaken, the non-realMyst editions are supported by ScummVM now. (Riven is also supported in the nightly builds.)
Myst and Myst Masterpiece Edition are supported in the ScummVM daily builds here: http://buildbot.scummvm.org/builds.html

Version 1.9 will be the first version to support Myst, current plan is to release 1.9 next Month. http://lists.scummvm.org/pipermail/scum ... 11911.html

Riven works in the daily builds but is still missing transitions and stuff, but it's completable (I played and finished it last month with ScummVM daily builds).

Exile works in ResidualVM, it's supported in 0.2.x but I highly suggest to use the daily builds http://www.residualvm.org/downloads/#daily
There are too many bugs in 0.2.x which got fixed in the daily builds.