SheepShaverLauncher on El Capitan

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

mschmitt
Tinkerer

SheepShaverLauncher on El Capitan

Post by mschmitt »

Is SheepShaverLauncher working on El Capitan (OS X 10.11.6)?

Stand-alone SheepShaver (20140201 build) is working, but when I try to use SheepShaverLauncher with the same settings, launching SheepShaver fails with "Couldn't posix_spawn: error 88", followed by a stack trace.

I've tried replacing the embedded SheepShaver executable with the 20140201 build and completely clearing the quarantine attribute.

I notice that starting SheepShaverLauncher, there are errors "SecTaskLoadEntitlements failed error=22" from launchservesd and appleeventsd.

I'm 90% sure SheepShaverLauncher was working before the upgrade from Yosemite to El Capitan.
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Re: SheepShaverLauncher on El Capitan

Post by kataetheweirdo »

When you're booting up in OS X 10.10 or later, Sheepshaver doesn't boot up unless you have it set to 32-bit mode, since Sheepshaver does some odd things to the memory. This is also why it's hard to compile, since fixing this requires that we find a way around its somewhat unusual programming.
mschmitt
Tinkerer

Post by mschmitt »

Ah, that's it!

SheepShaver.app is set to run 32-bit, but that doesn't make any difference here, because SheepShaverLauncher runs an embedded copy.

The problem is that while SheepShaverLauncher is 32-bit, the embedded copy of SheepShaver is universal: ppc, i386, x86_64. So SheepShaverLauncher is trying to launch it as 64-bit.

The solution is to take the current SheepShaver build and thin it down to only 32-bit Intel, and put that inside SheepShaverLauncher:

Code: Select all

lipo /Applications/SheepShaver/SheepShaver.app/Contents/MacOS/SheepShaver -thin i386 -output /Applications/SheepShaver/SheepShaverLauncher.app/Contents/MacOS/SheepShaver
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Or, you can just show package contents, get info on sheepshaver, and select that it run in 32 bit mode.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

adespoton wrote:Or, you can just show package contents, get info on sheepshaver, and select that it run in 32 bit mode.
That option is only available for the full application, not for the bare executable that is embedded in the Launcher.