[ROM] Dumping and using a updated iMac G3 ROM?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

ScottBeebiWan
Space Cadet

[ROM] Dumping and using a updated iMac G3 ROM?

Post by ScottBeebiWan »

I have a iMac G3, and i've dumped it's ROM with "GetRom". Isn't the iMac G3 a "PCI-Based PowerMac"? I have the New World BIOS, but I want to create a basically equal emulation to my iMac G3. But, SheepShaver is saying it "requires a 4MB PCI PowerMac ROM". Is there anything I can do about this? I don't want to use PearPC (which is designed to emulate G3 and G4 Systems) because I can't find a guide that isn't for the VBox GUI, and the VBox GUI gives me a 500 error when trying to download it.
Am I just dumping my ROM wrong? Or what? My ROM is the updated version and is 3MB (3,145,728 bytes). :???:
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: [ROM] Dumping and using a updated iMac G3 ROM?

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Somewhere on this forum is a list with all working roms. If SheepShaver doesn't want to start with your rom, you're out of luck. SheepShaver patches the rom file, so certain code has to be at certain places in the rom. Otherwise the patching fails.

Best,
Cat_7
ScottBeebiWan
Space Cadet

Post by ScottBeebiWan »

Cat_7 wrote:Somewhere on this forum
Could you please find "Somewhere"?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

ScottBeebiWan wrote:I have the New World BIOS, but I want to create a basically equal emulation to my iMac G3.
It is a common misunderstanding that SheepShaver will emulate the machine from which the ROM was retrieved. SheepShaver patches the ROM heavily and sort of emulates a PPC Mac of its own. The New World ROM is fine for running MacOS 8.5 through 9.0.4 in SheepShaver.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

SS can not emulate a G3. The emulated Mac is more or less like a PPC 604 with limitations, e.g. missing MMU.
If you want a G3 emulation, the QEMU threads are the place to look at.

Cat_7 did have an OldWorldROM and NewWorldROM included with the basic SheepShaver DL, I presume they are still there.
IIRC only the Power Mac 9500/9600 ROMs and some early iMac (Bondi blue) ROMs do run with SS.
The how to for the iMac ROM is in the guides section.
If you are merely looking for a working file, use your favorite web crawler to look for Redundant Robot SheepShaver Tutorial.
Macintoshgarden has a thread about collecting Mac ROMs, use the search over there please, if your are interested.

Last not least, please consider reading the SS setup guides, learning by doing might become frustrating. ;)
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Post by kataetheweirdo »

I think this is the closest thing to what Cat7 is referring to.

Not quite the topic though. It depends on which version of the iMac G3 you're ripping the ROM from.

The Old World ROMS supported are:
Power Macintosh 7500
Power Macintosh 6400 and 6500 series
Power Macintosh 8500 and 9500
Power Macintosh G3

The New World ROMs supported all between versions 1.0 (the original iMac G3) through 1.8.1, plus 2.5 and 3.0.

On that note, Sheepshaver more or less emulates a 604 with AltiVec instructions included later, thus allowing Sheepshaver to pass itself off as a G4.