Can't save to Shared folder (nonexistent file path)

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Rolando
Space Cadet

Can't save to Shared folder (nonexistent file path)

Post by Rolando »

I'm running the 2014 version of SheepShaver on El Capitan (10.11.6). I initially installed SheepShaver on a previous Mac running Lion, then used the Migration Assistant to bring over all the Apps, settings and documents to the new Mac ( a 27" iMac). Since then, I've been able run SheepShaver and access file in El Capitan with no problem. But recently I needed to open an old WriteNow file, save it as an RTF to the Shared folder so I could open it in Word.

I use 'Save As' and aim the file to the Unix directory, but when I hit Save, I get a dialogue box saying "A nonexistent file path was specified. WriteNow could not find the file or folder necessary to complete this operation." On the chance that the older version of SheepShaver that I was using was the problem, I then replaced it with the latest version, the 2014. But it still didn't work.

I also have a duplicate of the file I need to translate in the Shared folder. I have also tried guiding WriteNow to open the file located in the Shared folder by going to the Unix directory and am able to open it. But again, when I try to Save-As the file in the RTF format to the same folder in Unix, but with a slightly different name, I still get the same 'nonexistent' dialogue box.

Why is WriteNow able to find the file and open it in the Unix directory, but then says the same file path I used to open the file is now nonexistent when I try to save to it?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Can't save to Shared folder (nonexistent file path)

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I have not seen this error message, but I am also unable to save a new file to 'Unix' in SheepShaver on El Capitan from some (but not all) applications. I don't know why this happens, but saving the file to the desktop and then copy it (drag it) in the Finder to the 'Unix' volume will probably work.
Rolando
Space Cadet

Re: Can't save to Shared folder (nonexistent file path)

Post by Rolando »

I thought I had done that; in fact there was already a copy of that file on the desktop when I went to SheepShaver this morning. But I must not have tried dragging the file over to the Unix icon, because when I did it this morning, it worked.

Thanks for the suggestion. This workaround will take care of what I need.

Rolando