SheepShaver Windows - "press Ctrl-Option-something"?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

emendelson
Forum All-Star

SheepShaver Windows - "press Ctrl-Option-something"?

Post by emendelson »

Probably I'm the only person on the forum who hasn't figured this out, but I'll be grateful for any help. In SheepShaver under Windows, I'm trying to work with a program (PreFab Player) that tells me to press Ctrl-Option-?. How can I do this under Windows? I know that the Windows Ctrl key emulates the Mac Ctrl key, and the Windows Alt key emulates the Mac Cmd key. Does anything emulate the Mac Option key?

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Sorting out some confusion.
Last edited by emendelson on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: SheepShaver Windows - "press Ctrl-Option-something"?

Post by adespoton »

I thought the alt key emulated option? For some emulators, the left and right ctrl keys are mapped differently; you could try whichever one didn't work for you.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: SheepShaver Windows - "press Ctrl-Option-something"?

Post by emendelson »

adespoton wrote:I thought the alt key emulated option? For some emulators, the left and right ctrl keys are mapped differently; you could try whichever one didn't work for you.
As far as I can tell, when I press Alt-Q on my Windows keyboard, a program running in SheepShaver quits, as if I'd typed Cmd-Q on a Mac keyboard. Same thing with Alt-P on the Windows keyboard - it causes the Mac program to print, as if I'd typed Cmd-P.

EDIT: And I got one thing backwards in my first post. It seems that the Windows Ctrl key emulates the Mac Ctrl key.

And wait - I see that the left Windows key is supposed to emulate the left Mac Option key. It's a bit inconsistent, because Windows seems to capture it - but it does seem to work, and solves this problem. Apologies for wasting bandwidth...