Build SheepShaver under Windows?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

emendelson
Forum All-Star

Build SheepShaver under Windows?

Post by emendelson »

In another forum I asked about a problem that I have while trying to build Basilisk II (and also SheepShaver) under MinGW and Msys in Windows:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... f=6&t=9238

I thought the answer might be to build using Cygwin instead, but the guide says to use Cygwin 1.5 or 1.7, and the current Cygwin version is 2.7. I tried with 2.7, but got an error message saying that my GCC compiler can't create Win32 executables. I see some messages about removing -mno-cygwin from files, but my efforts with that got nowhere, probably because I don't fully understand what to do.

Is there any current information on building SheepShaver under Windows, either with MinGW or the current Cygwin? I'll be grateful for any advice.
dadreamer
Inquisitive Elf

Re: Build SheepShaver under Windows?

Post by dadreamer »

I think, that thread might be of any use for you because I had success with SheepShaver building on Windows 10 x64 and MinGW.
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 022#p56022
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

dadreamer wrote:I think, that thread might be of any use for you because I had success with SheepShaver building on Windows 10 x64 and MinGW.
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 022#p56022
EDIT: Hello dadreamer! Thank you!

I'm replacing an earlier message in which I wasn't able to get the build to work. I didn't realize that I had to download rakslice's fork - and as soon as I did that, I was able to build SheepShaver, following your instructions.

Is there any hope that the wiki might be revised to give this information? Again, thank you!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

These build instructions lead to omitting the jit compiler.
Due to that limitation, I don't think it is a good idea for now to adjust the wiki page.

Best,
Cat_7
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

You're right about the JIT compiler being missing. Has anyone figured out how to build SheepShaver under MinGW with the JIT compiler included?

And while I'm asking, one reason I want to compile SheepShaver is to replace the default icons, including the one based on the old "My Computer" icon. Does anyone know of a convenient utility for converting a PNG file into the byte array used in posix_emu.cpp? It starts with the line "const uint8 my_comp_icon[2670] = {". I'm fairly sure I was able to create a byte array like that while working with DOSBox, but I've completely forgotten how I did it.

But of course there's no point in this until it's possible to build with JIT enabled.

EDIT: GraphicConverter on the Mac exports image files to .C format, as far as I can tell.