Not enough memory

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Jordan882
Student Driver

Not enough memory

Post by Jordan882 »

I am trying to install Kid Pix Deluxe 4 on Mac OS 9 using SheepShaver on Ubuntu 16.04. A problem I am having is that when I try to install it, I get an error saying that I don't have enough memory. So I made a hard disk file with 4.8 GB on it and added it to SheepShaver, but when I try to select it when I am installing Kid Pix, it gives me the same error, saying 'Not enough room on OS9 to install'

I am using the OS9 image and the New World PPC ROM from Redundant Robot.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: Not enough memory

Post by 24bit »

Best install a new System on your large HHD hard file.
You may also copy the the system from the small HDD to the large one but its not advisable.
Many games need room on the system disk for some files, if there is none, installation quits with an error.
Jordan882
Student Driver

Post by Jordan882 »

I can't switch drives when installing. If I go to my desktop and select the drive it still says it can't install on OS9 even if I select My 5gb drive on the desktop
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

1. Make sure the installer is not run from the 'Unix' volume. Applications cannot be run from that volume, they need to be copied to another disk within SheepShaver first. Note that when you move items directly from the 'Unix' volume to the desktop, they are still on that 'Unix' volume (in a hidden folder "Desktop Folder").

2. You should be able to choose the destination drive in the install/save dialog, not by by selecting a drive on the desktop. In the dialog, first navigate to the desktop as destination and then you will see the mounted volumes from which you can choose.

3. The OS9 image is too small for additional installations. It could be that it has no room for extensions that the game wants to install in the System Folder. In that case, you will need to copy the content of the OS9 disk to the larger disk and boot from the larger disk:

- Copy (drag) all files and folders from the OS9 volume to the larger volume
- Tidy up the SheepShaver desktop, move or copy all files and folders from the desktop to the larger volume
- Check whether the System Folder on the larger volume shows its System Folder icon. If it only shows a generic folder icon, open the folder so the Finder can "see" the "System" and "Finder" files inside. That way the folder will obtain its icon. (This is called "blessing" the System Folder.)
- Shut down SheepShaver.
- In the GUI, remove the original OS boot volume, so next time SheepShaver will boot from the new system disk.