Sound not working

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

MacSEMacPlus
Student Driver

Sound not working

Post by MacSEMacPlus »

Hi, so I am using sheepshaver and its a great program but I can't seem to get the sound working kind of.
You see the sound works then the machine boots (when the disk is checking for error the alert sound plays) but then it becomes quiet.

Why? I think I know why, Its because the volume bar is not set when the OS boots up but after its idle the volume bar goes to 0 and I cant move it is there a way i can force move it?

Specs:
Windows 10 build 1607
RAM in sheepshaver: 256
Mac OS 9.0.4 Internal
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Sound not working

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Did you follow these instructions in the setup guide?

Sound
In "Sound" control panel, select "built-in" for the output device. In Mac OS 9 the Sound control panel is installed with the other control panels and can be accessed in the Apple menu. In Mac OS 8.5/8.6 the Sound control panel is installed in the "Apple Extras" folder. You can use it there to select the built-in output device. If the "Apple Audio Extension" happens to be installed in the Extensions folder, remove it.
MacSEMacPlus
Student Driver

Post by MacSEMacPlus »

Thanks for that its fixed but i have another problem that may be uneccesary but want to use

everytime i use the oldworld rom it works fine but when i use the newworld the whole system crashes not the program

Is there a fix for this aswell?
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Kind of, yes.
You might install your OS again using the NewWorld ROM while doing so.
The OLdWorldROM boots volumes made with both ROMs, the NewWorldROM only boots its "own" volumes.
I´m using the OldWorldRom all the time, as I want to use 7.6. No harm is done using the OldWorldROM with 8.6 or 9.0.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

There is no compelling reason to change the rom file, 9.0.4 will run fine with it, but if you do, you need to also delete the nvram file before SheepShaver is started again, SheepShaver will then create a new nvram file.