Can't open application

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Jordan882
Student Driver

Can't open application

Post by Jordan882 »

I installed Kid Pix Deluxe 4 on SheepShaver, but for some reason when I try to open the app it closes. No error or anything. Also, after I installed it it said 'Start.html couldn't be opened'

I am on Ubuntu 16.04
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Can't open application

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Although Macintosh Garden indicates otherwise, I am not sure if Kid Pix Deluxe 4 can be made to run in SheepShaver. It apparently is a carbonized application, it can also be installed on early MacOSX versions and the installer will not install the game on MacOS 9 without first installing QuickTime 6.0.3. The latest version of QuickTime that is compatible with SheepShaver is 4.1.2.

(Note that it is not possible to downgrade QT by installing an earlier version over the newer version. You will need to manually remove all QT related files from the Extensions and Control Panels folders in the System Folder first.)

You could have a look at QEMU for PPC Mac emulation.

The .iso I dowloaded from Macintosh Garden seems to be made from a hybrid Windows/Mac disk. You can probably use it in an older Windows version.

About the .html file not opening: When you use a limited installation of OS9, it does not include a web browser. If you need to install one, look for Classilla or iCab 3.0.5
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Sure the QT files may be an obstacle.
On my side the game does play with SheepShaver and a 10.10.5 host, alas a bit slow with switching tools.

Add the ISO via the SS GUI.
Boot from a OS 9.0.4 volume.
Install the game to your large HDD.
Install Carbon Lib and Quicktime with the installers from the ISO.
Try the game. It will switch to 32000 colors, if you monitor is not set like that already.
The html thing is the game trying to open a web browser to let you register.
With a full 9.0.4 installation IE 4.5 is installed by default.

As Ronald already pointed out above, this ISO may be a candidate for XP or lower too. :)

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Windows
Windows 98se, ME, 2000, XP
300 MHz processor or faster
128 MB RAM
600 MB hard disk space for installation
4X CD-ROM drive or faster
800 x 600 display, 16-bit color
Windows-compatible printer
Optional: Microphone
Optional: Adobe Acrobat Reader for viewing the user's guide

Macintosh
Mac OS 8.6-9.2.2 and Mac OS 10.2 and higher (OS X native)
G3 333 MHz processor or faster
92 MB RAM
600 MB hard disk space for installation
4X CD-ROM drive or faster
800 x 600 display, thousands of colors
Macintosh-compatible printer
Optional: Microphone
Optional: Adobe Acrobat Reader for viewing the user's guide
Jordan882
Student Driver

Post by Jordan882 »

Thanks Ronald. I've gotten it to work before on SheepShaver, or maybe QEMU. I have a bad memory.
Jordan882
Student Driver

Post by Jordan882 »

I'm sorry but I'm confused. Is there a way you could write a detailed guide with more visuals? I'm a visual learner, not so sure if that's good or bad.

EDIT I have tried this before and it worked, but this time around I'm on Ubuntu 16.04 instead of Windows 10, and the application just won't open.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Do you think you could install a fresh copy of OS 9 on your SheepShaver HDD?
Same empty images are here, if you need another one: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/disk-images-emulators
The forth upload here should do for installing: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-os- ... 3-firewire
Many issues should vanish with a clean OS9 install, the KP4 installation will be easier too.

I might upload some screenshots, but both OS9 and KP4 installation are self explaining methinks. ;)