Sheepshawer Bootloader/Bootmanager

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

digilux
Space Cadet

Sheepshawer Bootloader/Bootmanager

Post by digilux »

Hi to you all. First timer here. I´m finally back on the Mac platform after being in the shadow of darkness (Windows) since 1999. I bought me a MacBook 12 Retina this last Christmas. And imediatly I got the Mac-feeling back. Anyway... After installing Parallels, buying a new Windows 10 license, rebuilding my old laptop (Fujitsu) workstation with my Windows software - something was "missing" - I need a playground for all of my old mac stuff! so I have got around installing Sheepshawer (credit to you all who made the classic mac os available!!). But after playing around with different ROM´s and different installations (7, 8 and 9) I find changing Sheepshawers boot volumes and ROM files manually "to manually".. is there a better way or "could someone" please make a Sheepshawer boot loader.. I guess that would call for a expansion of Sheepshawer so that one create Sheepshawer configuration packages (hfv^n+ROM) for each installations one wish.

Starting with Macintosh II back in 1991, a LCII in 1993, a Powerbook in 1994, a Performa in 1995, then the last in 1996 a Quadra 800 its a thrill to be back in what I think is the best OS of all Mac OS 7 :-)

Sincerely,

Tor-S. Hansen
Jar, Norway
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Sheepshawer Bootloader/Bootmanager

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You may want to have a look at the virtual machine capabilities of SheepShaver. You can have different setups and simply choose which one to start.

Additionally, the SheepShaver Launcher makes it possible to manage the VM's from one place.

The SheepShaver on OSX setup manual describes one type of VM's, the .sheepvm packages.
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... l_machines

For other VM setups and the SheepShaver Launcher you get dig through this topic:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 4&start=50
Where you can find the latest Launcher build is descibed towards the very end of that topic.

The Launcher can handle both .sheepvm packages and regular VM folders.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Is the standalone Preferences app too much "manually" for you?
It is working fine for me from 10.6 to 10.12.
Ronald posted a link for the editor some time ago: http://www.emaculation.com/sheepshaver/ ... rPrefs.zip

When using the OldWorldROM which you will want for MacOS 7.6, you may reboot your Mac from another volume via Control Panels - Startup volume.
Not really recommended maybe, but working on my side.

Did you find H-Norwegian of your desired OS already?
The Mac Anthology covers a few H flavours, 7.5.3, 8.0 and higher are there.
My favourite 7.6.1 is missing in Norwegian sadly.
Let me know in case a H version should be added for you at Macintoshgarden.org.
digilux
Space Cadet

Post by digilux »

I manage to use norwegian letters æøå/ÆØÅ on my sheepshawer for Windows, but not on macOS sierra 10.12.2. Its the same "build" except from the difference between ss-mac and ss-win. When running Sheepshawer for mac and Mac OS 9.0.4 eve though I have selected Norwegian input language, the letters æøå/ÆØÅ is not working on my MacBook 12 Retina.

I also get a constant popup warning "The UNIX disk cannot be used, because it cannot be found"
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

1. Works fine here (macOS Sierra and MacOS 9.0.4 and tested in SimpleText).
Do you have the keycodes file installed and referred to in preferences? And did you make sure the keyboard choice is the same in the host macOS and the guest MacOS?

2. That is often seen when changes are made in SheepShaver preferences settings without subsequent quitting and relaunching SheepShaver. After any change in its settings, SheepShaver must be quit and launched again (not just a restart of the emulated machine).