All Audio Defaults to Quicktime in Sheepshaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Mattowarrior6
Space Cadet

All Audio Defaults to Quicktime in Sheepshaver

Post by Mattowarrior6 »

I apologize if this has been covered before. I tried searching the first 6 or 7 pages of the search results. Anyone know why this happens? (I have an old mac pro 2006 with OSX 7.5), I tried to import mp3s but it defaults to this and won't play them. How do I get itunes to play them as mp3s, etc? I want to use some old programs like Turbosynth, etc.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: All Audio Defaults to Quicktime in Sheepshaver

Post by adespoton »

Mattowarrior6 wrote:I apologize if this has been covered before. I tried searching the first 6 or 7 pages of the search results. Anyone know why this happens? (I have an old mac pro 2006 with OSX 7.5), I tried to import mp3s but it defaults to this and won't play them. How do I get itunes to play them as mp3s, etc? I want to use some old programs like Turbosynth, etc.
You need Internet Config to set up default application handlers. But we need some more information too. If you're talking about using iTunes, I presume you're using Mac OS 9 in SheepShaver?

To play MP3s in iTunes, just drag the document over the iTunes icon, and iTunes should load it. iTunes can also find all audio files on your computer and add them to its library, either by copying, or just by indexing them where they are.

Personally, I used to use SoundApp and Audacity to play/edit all my old audio; iTunes for OS 9 is really just a re-branded SoundJam MP.

If you are copying over MP3 files from a shared folder, they may not have file type and creator codes; in this case, only software that can open files with no type and creator will be able to open your audio files -- but that includes all the applications listed above.