SheepShaver crashing on startup

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

DrKoneko
Space Cadet

SheepShaver crashing on startup

Post by DrKoneko »

Hello,

I've been experiencing an issue with SheepShaver. I got it to run and was trying to change the amount of RAM the VM had. I upgraded it to 2048 and closed SheepShaver to apply the changes but when attempting to reopen it, it closes immediately. I've made a new separate Mac OS install on a different version to see if that would help (Previously tried on Catalina, now trying on Sonoma) and it didn't. I'm using the newest SheepShaver version available from this forum, a NewWorldPPC image from RedundantRobot, and a Mac OS 9 iso from WinWorldPC. I've renamed the NewWorldPPC image to Mac OS ROM as instructed but SheepShaver closes instantly as if it weren't there. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong and any help would be wonderful!

--Jakoby
--Jakoby
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: SheepShaver crashing on startup

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You set RAM to a value that MacOS9 and SheepShaver cannot handle. 256 MB is usually sufficient, 512 MB is plenty.

You will need to change the value in the prefs file manually to a lower value:

Launch Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities/) and type at the prompt

Code: Select all

open ~/.sheepshaver_prefs
followed by a return.
The file will open in your default text editor (usually TextEdit).

Find the line that starts with "ramsize" and change that line to

ramsize 536870912
Then save and close.

RAM will now be set to 512MB.
DrKoneko
Space Cadet

Post by DrKoneko »

I tried this but this is the result.

Jakobys-MBP:~ Jakoby$ open ~/.sheepshaver_prefs
The file /Users/Jakoby/.sheepshaver_prefs does not exist
Also I tried opening the app again to possibly generate the file you mentioned but this time got an error stating "SheepShaver quit unexpectedly."
The expanded details are attached here:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K3kOmR ... drive_link
Still no prefs file either unfortunately.
--Jakoby
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Are you using the SheepShaver build available from viewtopic.php?t=7360 ? Which version of macOS are you running?
DrKoneko
Space Cadet

Post by DrKoneko »

Yes, I'm using the newest version from the forums. Version 2.5. I'm running this on Mac OS Catalina and I've also tried running it on Mac OS Sonoma on the same machine but no dice.
--Jakoby
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

You say there is no .sheepshaver_prefs file.
Where did you look for it? On Sonoma or on Catalina, on which you had SheepShaver running before?

If on Sonoma the application quits directly, you could try to copy the app to e.g., your desktop, delete the original one, and move the copy from the desktop to the location of the original one. Then try to run again.

Best,
Cat_7
DrKoneko
Space Cadet

Post by DrKoneko »

I was looking for the prefs file on Catalina which is where I managed to get SheepShaver to run initally. I didn't find it in Sonoma either and trying what you recommended didn't work unfortunately. I tried copying and pasting to different directories, running in different ones, and redownloading all the needed files and launching in different directories. Still nothing.
--Jakoby
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

It is very strange that the file ~/.sheepshaver_prefs (the hidden file .sheepshaver_prefs in your Home folder) could not be found in Catalina, where you said you had SheepShaver running. The file will be created when SheepShaver is run the first time.

Anyway, on the Mac where you want to set up SheepShaver:

- Remove all SheepShaver related files in order to prevent confusion.
- From viewtopic.php?t=7360 download both the SheepShaver folder and the latest SheepShaver build
- Expand the zip files in the download location if they are not yet expanded
- Move the SheepShaver folder (not yet SheepShaver!) from the download location to the location where you want to use it
- Copy (not move!) the SheepShaver application from the download location into the SheepShaver folder.
- From: https://redundantrobot.com/sheepshaver download the "New World PPC ROM"
- Expand the newworld86.rom.zip in the download location if it is not yet expanded
- Move the newworld86.rom file from the download location into the SheepShaver folder
- Select the newworld86.rom file and hit command-I (he Finder Info panel for the file will open)
- In the Info panel change the file name to Mac OS ROM (without the extension) and close the Info panel

Note that you should not download or expand the downloads in the location where you want to use SheepShaver and do not try to launch SheepShaver in the location where it is downloaded or expanded. Download and expand in one place (like your Downloads folder) and move or copy the expanded files to where you intend to use them.

If there is indeed no pre-existing ~/.sheepshaver_prefs file, you should be able to launch SheepShaver.
Continue with the setup as described in the setup manual: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... os_x_setup
DrKoneko
Space Cadet

Post by DrKoneko »

This time an error popped up again. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bOeDHg ... sp=sharing
--Jakoby
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Hmm... I wonder if having the app in a folder named ~/Desktop/*/ could be causing problems?

Normally, you'd copy SheepShaver to /Applications/SheepShaver/ or ~/Applications/SheepShaver.

The App running from the desktop suggests you didn't copy it into the SheepShaver folder, unless you renamed the SheepShaver folder * ? Or is that * just an artifact of the crash log?

Desktop, Documents and Downloads are also protected locations (starting with Catalina?) so it's possible that there are access permissions issues at play here.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The path looks strange with /*/ in it. What is the actual path to the SheepShaver app? Is the SheepShaver app inside the SheepShaver folder with the renamed ROM file?

Most users will place the SheepShaver app in the "SheepShaver" folder in /Applications, but it can also be run from anywhere inside your Home folder, even with the SheepShaver folder on the Desktop.

In the SheepShaver folder you will find a folder "SheepShaver scripts". Run both scripts. The scripts will delete respectively the prefs file and the nvram file from your Home folder if these exist.