Why Alt+F4 doesn't close Windows builds

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

emendelson
Forum All-Star

Why Alt+F4 doesn't close Windows builds

Post by emendelson »

A few other threads have mentioned that Alt+F4 doesn't close the Windows versions of BII and SS. This seems to be deliberate, and correct. Option+F4 is used in some Mac applications (WordPerfect for example), and it should not close down the emulator.

However, there seems to be no way to remove the "Alt+F4" string from the system menu of the applications, I think because Windows itself creates the system menu, not the application (unless it uses a custom system menu). But maybe I'm wrong about this. It would be useful to remove the "Alt+F4" string from the system menu, leaving only the "Close" menu item, if it could be done.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Why Alt+F4 doesn't close Windows builds

Post by adespoton »

emendelson wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:19 am A few other threads have mentioned that Alt+F4 doesn't close the Windows versions of BII and SS. This seems to be deliberate, and correct. Option+F4 is used in some Mac applications (WordPerfect for example), and it should not close down the emulator.

However, there seems to be no way to remove the "Alt+F4" string from the system menu of the applications, I think because Windows itself creates the system menu, not the application (unless it uses a custom system menu). But maybe I'm wrong about this. It would be useful to remove the "Alt+F4" string from the system menu, leaving only the "Close" menu item, if it could be done.
I'm pretty sure it can be overwritten (best would be to overwrite with a greyed out version), but it's been over 20 years since I've attempted that, so anything may have changed in the interim.