Moving SheepShaver....

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

garyj
Inquisitive Elf

Moving SheepShaver....

Post by garyj »

Hi ~ I would like to move a copy of SS - with all of its applications, etc. - from my MacBookPro running Mac OS 10.6.8 (emulating OS 9), over to an external HD that already has a bootable copy of 10.6.8 on it.

What's the best way to do that, please, while maintaining all of my preferences and apps, etc.?
(if there is one...)

Thanks again good people!
~ Gary :mrgreen:
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Moving SheepShaver....

Post by adespoton »

The best way is to move your prefs into a sheepvm bundle; then you can move that and the app over and have no issues. To run the emulator, just double click the <something>.sheepvm file. More info on the wiki.
garyj
Inquisitive Elf

Post by garyj »

Thank you, adespoton.
Pardon my ignorance here, I am not programmer or expert computer geek... :) I did go to the wiki page, but it's a bit over my head, too...

Wiki says to make a folder with .sheepvm at the end of its name, right? (= xxwhateverxx.sheepvm)
Then put into it .sheepshaver–prefs and .sheepshaver–nvram. - I am not finding those two files. after a bit of searching. Please tell me where to locate them -?

What about the various applications' preferences on the OS9 side? Do I not need to copy them?

Any other details would be much appreciated!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Better take this step by step.

1. Are you using a regular SheepShaver setup or a pre-configured setup like COI Chubby Bunny?

2. If you are using a regular SheepShaver setup:
- Which SheepShaver build (build date) do you use?
- Do you keep all related files (SheepShaver application, ROM file, disk images, and possibly a keycodes file) together in one folder?
garyj
Inquisitive Elf

Post by garyj »

Thank you, Ronald, that's very kind of you!

To answer your questions:
I'm using the regular setup, I guess. Never heard of a COI Chubby Bunny.
I'm using SS Version2.4.20140201 (2.4) – according to the About SS dialog box.
Yes, I have the application, the ROM file, disk image, and keycodes file in one folder, along with a SS scripts folder, Setup Manual.webloc, ppc.log, and a ReadMeFirst file...

Thanks again
Cheers,
~ Gary
TiddK
Granny Smith

Post by TiddK »

Chubby Bunny (COI = Classic On Intel) is a package of SheepShaver where all the hard work has been done for you, as long as you are content with OS 9.0.4 - it contains everything all together in one place, you just have to create a few folders for it to use.

You can use both it and a SheepShaver you've set up for a different Mac OS, but as they will share SS preferences files, you will have to create a separate .sheepvm for Chubby Bunny which will keep its own preferences file within the .sheepvm package.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

garyj wrote:Yes, I have the application, the ROM file, disk image, and keycodes file in one folder, along with a SS scripts folder, Setup Manual.webloc, ppc.log, and a ReadMeFirst file...
To make sure everything will still work after we create a portable .sheepvm virtual machine from your setup, please post here the content of your prefs file. Do this:

Open Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities/) and type at the prompt

Code: Select all

open ~/.sheepshaver_prefs
followed by a return.
The prefs file will open in your default text editor.

Select and copy all content and paste it here in your reply.
garyj
Inquisitive Elf

Post by garyj »

disk MacOS9 3
disk MacOS9 4
disk MacOS9 2
disk MacOS9 1
disk MacOS9 5
disk MacOS9 6
cdrom /dev/poll/cdrom
extfs /Applications/SheepShaver Shared Folder
screen win/1024/768
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem
serialb /dev/null
rom Mac OS ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 1073741824
frameskip 0
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
ignoreillegal false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
ether slirp
keycodes false
keycodefile
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv true
idlewait true
garyj
Inquisitive Elf

Post by garyj »

I was thinking, this external HD I mentioned with OS10.6.8 on it, does already have a earlier copy of SS (same version) on it. It (SS) isn't nearly as up-to-date as the one on my computer, which has MANY more applications installed on it. What I'm wanting to do is make the SS on the ext. HD as complete as the one on my computer, with dozens of added OS9 applications.

Will I need to remove any files on the ext. hard drive, before I transfer this new SheepShaverVM onto it?

Thanks!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I will guide you through making your SheepShaver setup into a .sheepvm virtual machine that can be used anywhere on a MacOSX system that has SheepShaver installed. When you copy it to the other disk, you can have both this virtual machine and the original SheepShaver setup on the external disk running independently (though not at the same time). Later today I will probably have more time to explain the next steps.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

A self content setup is for sure the most elegant solution for moving SS around.

For the simple task to run SS from another 10.6 volume, wouldn't´t it be easier just to install SS on the external volume and to copy over the SS disk images?
I´m doing just that all the time, but maybe I don´t see the issue here.
SS would have to be configured again on the external volume, but thats just a few mouse clicks.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

What 24bit writes is correct. To set up SheepShaver on another startup disk or on another Mac with the content of your current setup, you will only need to copy the disk images and configure SheepShaver to use those disk images.

A setup in a self-contained .sheepvm virtual machine can be copied and used without the need to configure SheepShaver again. Plus, you can continue the use of the already existing SheepShaver setup on the other volume independently from the virtual machine.

Which route would you like to follow?
garyj
Inquisitive Elf

Post by garyj »

Thank you, Ronald and 24bit ~
Well... actually it would be nice to know how to do it both ways. The immediate need I have is to simply put everything SS from my OS10.6 computer onto my existing external HD that has 10.6 and the same version of SS on it already. (I don't know how to or where to copy-over the SS disk images.)
But I am planning to install my SS with all its OS9 apps onto a different Mac of mine, with 10.10 on it, in the future. So it would be real nice to know how to do that...
So, if you have the time and would like to tell me both ways, that would be great! –Perhaps these instructions could then be saved into some kind of SS FAQs archive here, for future use by others -?

Many thanks again!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Here's an easy way to visualize what's happening with SheepShaver (and Basilisk II as well):
(see more at https://github.com/sentient06/Medusa/wi ... X-and-Unix )

When you run the app, it looks for its preference file, first inside a .SheepVM bundle, then at ~/.sheepshaver_prefs

This text file (hidden in the Finder because of the . at the front) will tell the launched Sheepshaver app where to find all the other files it needs, and will configure all the available settings.

The only external files Sheepshaver needs to operate are the prefs file (in one of the two listed locations), a ROM file (which has a default location, but can also be anywhere/named anything in the prefs file), and at least one bootable disk image, which also needs to be listed in the prefs file.

Additional files that can be useful are the nvram file for settings persistence across reboots, and the keycodes file for remapping your keyboard. The first of these gets written as a . file, usually in the same place as your prefs file, the second needs to be in the same folder as the app itself, unless you change its location in the preferences file.

So from that, you can figure out what you need, and where you need to put it :)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Copying only the disk images is the most simple way:

You already have a SheepShaver setup on both volumes. One can simply copy the six image files from the SheepShaver folder to the SheepShaver folder on the other volume. To make sure you will not run into permissions issues, best archive the files ("Compress" from the Finder contextual menu) and copy the archives over to anywhere on the other volume.

Then start up from the other volume, decompress the zip archives and drag the image files into the SheepShaver folder there. Launch SheepShaver, open Preferences, remove the entries that are in the volumes list, and add the six image files that you copied. Shut down SheepShaver and launch it again. Ready.

Still also like to know how to create a virtual machine?
garyj
Inquisitive Elf

Post by garyj »

Thank you again, Ronald and adespoton!
Well that doesn't sound like too bad of a job to do. Will try it asap and let you know.

And yes! I would very much like to know how to create a VM for future reference! Thanks so much for offering.
~ Gary
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

1. How to create a new virtual machine (VM) is described in the setup manual: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... l_machines

2. To create a VM from your existing regular setup, also move or copy the disk images from that setup into the folder that will become the VM. When you configure that VM, instead of creating new disk images, add the images you put in the VM to the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences.

3. If your existing regular setup has all the needed files in the same folder together with the SheepShaver application, You do not need to configure the VM. Instead of adding an empty 'prefs' file to the folder that will become the VM, add a copy of your .sheepshaver_prefs file with the name 'prefs'.

You wil get that copy by entering in Terminal

Code: Select all

cp ~/.sheepshaver_prefs ~/Desktop/prefs
followed by a return. The prefs copy will appear on your Desktop.

4. These .sheepvm VMs will work on any OSX Mac (MacOSX 10.4 or later) with SheepShaver installed. Simply double click the .sheepvm icon to start it. If, however, you also add a copy of the SheepShaver application to the folder that will become the VM, the VM will also work on OSX Macs that do not have SheepShaver installed.