Classic Environment like version for Mac OS X Intel

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

nathan8299
Space Cadet

Classic Environment like version for Mac OS X Intel

Post by nathan8299 »

Is there a way to make/engineer a version that would be very much like the classic environment on Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger?
classicmacreborn
Inquisitive Elf

Re: Classic Environment like version for Mac OS X Intel

Post by classicmacreborn »

Well, it would certainly take some modifications to OS9, as well as SS. One big challenge I can see is integrating platinum's window system to run in OSX. It's definitely not impossible- just really really hard. Another approach is to try integrating a PPC interpreter into the classic environment. I'm not really sure that's entirely feasible. But it's interesting to think about. Someone else might have a better answer.

I think at that point it would just make sense to work on a compatibility layer which would make the apps run natively in OS X without emulation (you may be familiar with Wine). There was the short-lived Classix project. It's a daunting task, and there hasn't been many people up to the challenge. But of course that's the ultimate solution. I think if someone used the Carbon API it could have been done somewhat quicker than what was done with Wine.