Disinfectant for os 9 safe?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

IPJ126
Inquisitive Elf

Disinfectant for os 9 safe?

Post by IPJ126 »

Hi,
Just found out about the program Disinfectant, just want to make sure I can have a safe download.
I've downloaded a few things from Macintosh Garden, but I've had them for a while. Just reading the forums here about Disinfectant made me paranoid, but Sheepshaver with Mac os 9 is running pretty much perfect though. Could someone direct me to a safe download of Disinfectant? Just want to be safe, and not screw up Mac os x either! I really don't know if I need it, (if it isn't broke, don't fix it.) I'm just being paranoid I guess. I'm not having any actual symptoms, just finding out that Macintosh Garden might have viruses worries me.
Thanks!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Disinfectant for os 9 safe?

Post by adespoton »

The Disinfectant on the macintosh garden is clean and can be used to scan your disk image and install the init.
IPJ126
Inquisitive Elf

Post by IPJ126 »

Thank you Adespoton! Got it and scanned SheepShaver and Basilisk II! Very happy to have found no viruses! You were a Big help! Thank you again!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Just so you know, the free AV software Sophos Home will also allow you to right-click on a disk image and scan it, and has detections for all the old nVIR-B and WDEF-A style viruses, as well as more recent ones like macro viruses and autorun worms that popped up around the time of OS 9. Some of the other modern AV software will do this as well.