Issue running Mac OS 8.2a2 "Southpark"

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Meow_2004
Granny Smith

Issue running Mac OS 8.2a2 "Southpark"

Post by Meow_2004 »

I'm trying to figure out how to run this. It's a floppy drive. sooooooooo, it has some issues. It gives me a blinking question mark, and when I add (floppy C:\Location\Floppy Disk.img) I get the X, Can you help? Thanks.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Issue running Mac OS 8.2a2 "Southpark"

Post by adespoton »

Sounds like that floppy image might not be bootable. What happens if you insert it into an already-runnig Mac OS 8.1 SheepShaver install?
Meow_2004
Granny Smith

Post by Meow_2004 »

oh, I haven't done that yet. But how do I make sheepshaver detect a .img?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Not quite sure what you mean; you should just have to place the img file in your shared folder and copy it into your SS volume from inside the emulator, and then mount it internally via Disk Copy. ShrinkWrap should also mount it.

To make it usable externally, you're going to have to convert it. On OS X, that's done using hdiutil from the command line, or using Disk Utility. You may also be able to do it using Disk Copy from within SheepShaver, if you've got a recent-enough version that recognizes both UDIF and NDIF formats.

But then, if it's got a bootable system folder on it, you'll also need to bless that folder.

It might be easier to create a regular image you can attach to SheepShaver, boot OS 9, mount the image using Disk Copy, and just copy the contents from one volume to the other, then bless the system folder when you're done. Then you should have a bootable image ready to go.
Meow_2004
Granny Smith

Post by Meow_2004 »

???????

I'm running Windows 10 by the way.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Do you have a working SheepShaver running Mac OS 8.1? That's the first step. You need to ensure it has Disk Copy installed.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Meow, have you been tinkering with a 90MB DMG? Not sure why you were talking about a floppy drive.
Feel free to try the CDR here: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-os- ... -southpark
DMG may not be the best choice to preserve such HFS Standard betas, so I made it .cdr - I could provide an IMG (zipped) if need should be.

Also here is "Sequins" in case you want it: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-os- ... ta-sequins