Forgot how to set up SheepShaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Shadyday
Student Driver

Forgot how to set up SheepShaver

Post by Shadyday »

Hello,
It's been a while since I've visited this form. I'm running an intel Mac with Sierra & last week I might have inadvertently downloaded a malicious email. Result is all sorts of nasty goings on with email & a few other apps. You'll be pleasantly surprised that my S.S. set up was not infected – at least so far – and is still working fine. I've used it (currently 2.4) mainly for some business programs that I really, REALLY need.

Today I decided to instal the latest Mac system – 11.6 – on a partition & the first thing I did was to go looking for the latest S.S. installer. I had an old link – https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/20615 ... r/download – and downloaded it, but when I clicked on it nothing happens. Info tells me that it's version 4.5 and it's 5.3 MB with a creation date of March 17, 2021.

I also found a folder on one of my other computers that has a creation date of July 11, 2018 that also says V. 4.5. When I click to open this one I get the Mac desktop trying to start up, but nothing happens and after a minute or so I force quit it. There's also a "Read Me" first text with a Feb. 1, 2014 in the folder.

So that's where I'm at. I haven't set up S.S. in a while, & am afraid that I've forgotten what I'm supposed to do next. If any one can point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.
Warmest regards,

Frank
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Forgot how to set up SheepShaver

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The latest SheepShaver builds can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7360
The setup manual can be found here: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... os_x_setup

But there has never been a SheepShaver version 4.5. So what kind of software did you use?

(Note that installing macOS 11.6 makes changes to your Mac and to your HD. I am not sure having Sierra and Big Sur on different partitions of the same disk is a good idea.)